1930 - Women's Athletic Association begins to raise money to purchase land for women's activities. They raise $2000.
March 21, 1930 - After much campaigning, California is approved for the Industrial Arts program on the western side of the state; Millersville is approved for the eastern side.
April 8, 1930 - Shriver L. Coover is named to head the Industrial Arts program, effective August 1. California is only appropriated $5,500 to begin the Industrial Arts program.
May 24, 1930 - The Theodore B. Noss Training School is dedicated.
Aug. 1, 1930 - Shriver L. Coover becomes the head of the Industrial Arts program, located in the basement of Dixon Hall.
Dec. 19, 1930 - Contract for construction of the new gymnasium is let.
Feb. 26, 1931 - Trustees name the gymnasium Herron Hall in honor of longtime trustee and president Joseph A. Herron.
Aug. 3, 1931 - Department of Public Instruction requests CSTC's projected needs for the next ten years; trustees estimate funds needed for construction to be $1,510,000. Many of these projects never come to pass.
May 9, 1932 - Committees made up of State Teachers College faculty revise the curriculum.
June 8, 1932 - California's faculty agree to give 1/365 of their salary to charity for people suffering from the Depression.
July 1932 - The budget for the colleges is reduced by over one million dollars.
Jan. 27, 1933 - Dr. Steele is named chairman of a Board of Presidents committee formed to work out an agreement between the Teachers Colleges and the state's liberal arts colleges in regard to training secondary school teachers.
Feb. 6, 1933 - The new Pennsylvania school code includes Article XXX, which would reduce the number of State Teacher's Colleges to ten.
Feb. 10, 1933 - California's Board of Trustees sends a resolution to the other colleges and the state, which states that California opposes "further centralization of the management and control of teachers colleges," and that no teachers colleges should be closed without independent study.
Feb. 21, 1933 - A subcommittee of the House and Senate Education Committee resolves not to change the number of colleges or the number of trustees.
April 10, 1933 - House Bill No. 260 passes the House of Representatives; includes provisions to deny appropriations to California, West Chester, East Stroudsburg, and Clarion. Dr. Steele organizes the community and appropriations are restored.
June 1, 1933 - The salaries of State Teacher's College employees are reduced by 10%.
March 14, 1934 - Civil Works Administration helps California students to afford to stay in school by paying them to restore the buildings on campus.
May 4, 1934 - Newly formed Pennsylvania School Association (made up of Teachers College faculty) sends a letter to the voters encouraging them to vote only for candidates that support the Teachers Colleges and Public Schools.
March 5, 1935 - California is given approval to hold clinics for handicapped public school children.
1936 - Thomas Lilley's 82-acre farm goes up for sale. Women's Athletic Association's $2000 is used as a down payment, and a mortgage was taken for the remainder. Student Congress helps to pay the mortgage and improvements on Lilley Recreation Center, better known as the College Farm, begin.
Dec. 1936 - Speech and reading clinics for public school children are approved as electives.
March 20, 1937 - Students petition the Washington County Court of Common Pleas to incorporate the Student Activities Association.
Oct. 1, 1937 - The California State Teachers College Mental Clinic is approved by the State Council of Education.
Dec. 13, 1937 - The ten-percent pay cut of 1932 is restored.
Feb. 21, 1938 - Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the Industrial Arts Building and Power Plant.
March 3, 1938 - The State purchases seven acres of land for California.
Sept. 1, 1939 - Germany invades Poland.
Sept. 3, 1939 - Great Britain and France declare war on Germany.
Nov. 6, 1939 - General State Authority signs new buildings over to California.
Dec. 12, 1939 - The college trustees and Civil Aeronautics Authority approve ground training for pilots at California and flight training at the Connellsville airport in an effort to prepare for national defense.