President Geraldine M. Jones
Geraldine M. Jones was named president of California University of Pennsylvania on April 7, 2016.
Prior to her appointment by the Board of Governors for Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education, she had led the University for nearly four years, first as acting president and then as interim president.
She will be installed as California’s seventh president in a formal academic ceremony on Oct. 14, 2016.
Education and career
President Jones graduated from California State College in 1972 with a bachelor of education degree and earned her master’s degree in education at California in 1980.
She began her career in education as a second-grade teacher in the Albert Gallatin School District, in Uniontown, Pa.
She returned to California in 1974, serving as program director for Upward Bound for 20 years and as chair of the Department of Academic Development Services for 11 years. She was associate dean of the College of Education and Human Services for two years before serving as the college dean from 2000-2008.
In July 2008, she was named provost/vice president for academic affairs, a position she held until being appointed as acting university president.
Important initiatives were realized during President Jones’ tenure as interim president. Among them are:
- The University’s 2015-2020 Strategic Plan.
- The University’s first doctoral degree program, the Doctor of Health Science.
- A new system of shared governance.
- The Center for Undergraduate Research, to enhance and expand faculty-led research in all three undergraduate colleges.
- A successful Winter College, offering courses between the fall and spring semesters.
- The Military Tuition Program, which exceeded its first-year enrollment goal by more than 50 percent.
- Nine new academic programs in high-demand areas.
Honors, service and family
President Jones has received numerous honors, including the Cal U Alumni Association's John R. Gregg Award for Loyalty and Service, and Cal U’s Black Alumni Association's Outstanding Service Award. In 2010 she was one of 50 “Women of Excellence” honored by the New Pittsburgh Courier, and in 2013 she was honored as an “Urban Hero of Western Pennsylvania,” and one of the “Most Powerful and Influential Women” at the Pittsburgh Diversity and Leadership Summit. President Jones also received the 2016 ATHENA Award, presented by the Washington County Chamber of Commerce.
She serves as a board member on local and regional community organizations, including the Washington County Community Foundation, and the Washington County Chamber of Commerce.
President Jones is a lifelong member of Mt. Zion AME Church of Brownsville, Pa., where she has been the church pianist since age 14. She has been married to Jeffrey B. Jones for 40 years; they have two adult daughters and a granddaughter.
Read messages from Interim President Geraldine M. Jones:
- October 21, 2016 - Returning to our Primary Purpose
- April 11, 2016 - Presidential Appointment
- November 10, 2015 - Grants
- August 13, 2015 - PHEAA Grants
- July 9, 2015 - Doctor of Health Science
- June 30, 2015 - Residence Halls
- April 29, 2015 - Continuing Workforce Plan
- February 27, 2015 - Student Convocation
- February 13, 2015 - Conference on Research
- February 3, 2015 - The Compliance Group Report
- December 3, 2014 - External review
- July 11, 2014 - Tuition
February 6, 2014 - Winter Weather
- December 21, 2012 – Happy Holidays
- November 30, 2012 – Spirit of giving
- November 9, 2012 – Emergency notifications
- October 26, 2012 – Scholarship Recipient Dinner
- October 12, 2012 – Homecoming
- September 28, 2012 – Dr. Sugata Mitra returns
- September 14, 2012 – Higher Education Modernization Act
- August 31, 2012 – Students and families
- August 24, 2012 – New administrators
- August 17, 2012 – Cal U for Life
- August 10, 2012 – New website look
- August 3, 2012 – Our scholar-athletes
- July 20, 2012 – Campus housing
- July 13, 2012 – Student fees reduced
- July 9, 2012 – 2012-2013 tuition
- June 29, 2012 – Career Services
- June 21, 2012 – Three furloughs rescinded
- June 15, 2012 – Internships
- June 8, 2012 – Study abroad
- June 1, 2012 – Core mission: Education
- May 25, 2012 – Financial diligence
- May 18, 2012 – Moving forward
Chief of Staff to the President
We Celebrate Success
Our Cal U employees and students are truly special, and we should celebrate their success!