Upward Bound Programs (Fayette & Greene)
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a federally-funded TRIO program designed to help prepare eligible high school students for success in postsecondary education. California University of Pennsylvania hosts two Upward Bound programs: Upward Bound (Fayette) and Upward Bound (Greene). The oldest, which serves select Fayette County schools (Albert Gallatin, Brownsville, Connellsville, Laurel Highlands, and Uniontown), serves up to 88 students per year while the younger one, which serves select Greene County schools (Carmichaels, Jefferson-Morgan, Waynesburg Central, and West Greene), serves up to 60 students each year. The program is active year round and offers Saturday, after school, and summer activities.
Who is Eligible?
Students might be eligible for Upward Bound if:
- They attend one of the program's target high schools (Albert Gallatin, Brownsville, Connellsville, Laurel HIghlands, and Uniontown in Fayette County or Carmichaels, Jefferson-Morgan, Waynesburg Central, and West Greene in Greene County);
- Neither parent/guardian has earned a bachelor's (four-year) degree;
AND / OR
- The family's income falls within federal guidelines.
Students can apply for admission beginning in the spring of their 8th grade year and participate in the program until graduation from high school.
Eligibility criteria for Upward Bound is established by the United States Department of Education.
What Does the Program Offer?
- Academic and career guidance
- Visits to several college campuses and the National College Fair in Pittsburgh
- Exposure to different careers and majors
- Tutoring and study skills help
- College application help and fee waivers
- Financial aid application help and scholarship searches
- SAT preparation, registration assistance, and fee waivers
- Family workshops on college planning and financial aid
- Field trips to museums, college fairs, historical sites, and other educational destinations
- Cultural, social, and recreational opportunities
- Preparation for the PSSA and Keystone Exams
What is Expected of Students?
Students are expected to actively attend and participate in program activities, to challenge themselves at their high schools by enrolling (and achieving good grades in) a challenging college preparatory curriculum, to earn good grades, to take the SAT and/or ACT their junior and senior years, and to apply for admission to at least four colleges and universities during their senior year. Students wishing to join Upward Bound should be fully committed to the goal of enrolling in college immediately after high school.
How Does Someone Join?
Students who are interested in Upward Bound can call 724-938-4470 (Fayette) or 724-938-1691 (Greene), email email@example.com, or stop by their school's guidance office to request an application packet.
Upward Bound Staff Contact Information:
- John Kula, Director (Fayette & Greene) - 724-938-1684, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laura Giachetti, Assistant Director (Fayette & Greene) - 724-938-1693, email@example.com
- Jennifer Ramsey, Counselor (Fayette) - 724-938-4475, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cerenna Sealy, Counselor (Fayette & Greene) - 724-938-4468, email@example.com
- Rosanna Ondrish, Secretary (Fayette & Greene) - 724-938-4470 or 938-1691, firstname.lastname@example.org
General Contact Information:
Upward Bound's offices are located in Suite 430 of Manderino Library on the California University campus. Here is the mailing address:Upward BoundCalifornia University of PennsylvaniaBox 76, 250 University AvenueCalifornia, PA 15419-1394724-938-4470 (Fayette County)724-938-1691 (Greene County)724-938-5738 - Faxupwardbound@calu.edu
Upward Bound is seeking tutors for the 2014-15 academic year. For more information and to apply, please visit our online application form.
Saturday Sessions (2014-15):
- October 25, 2014
- December 6, 2014
- February 28, 2015
- March 28, 2015
- April 11, 2015
Summer Academy 2015:
- To Be Announced
Check Upward Bound's electronic calendar here for additional details and events.
NEWS & FORMS
FACEBOOK & YOUTUBE
HELPFUL WEB LINKS
- What Can I Do With A Major In...?
- America's Career Info Net
- Careers and Colleges
- Education Planner
- Mapping Your Future
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
Financial Aid / Scholarships:
REMINDER: Never pay for scholarship search services!