The Teacher Intern Certification Program

Site Search

A female student in glasses smiles at the cameraA female student in glasses smiles at the camera

The Teacher Intern Certification Program

The Teacher Intern Certification program at California University of Pennsylvania is reserved for individuals employed in public school districts without a standard instructional certificate.  Their admission to this program permits the use of their employment setting to fulfill field placement requirements.  The programs listed below have been approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for the Teacher Intern Certificate and are the only certification areas being offered by California University of PA at this time:

  • Biology Education
  • Chemistry Education
  • Communications Education
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Earth & Space Science Education
  • Elementary Education
  • French Education
  • Mathematics Education
  • Physics Education
  • Reading Specialist
  • Social Studies Education
  • Spanish Education
  • Special Education N-12
  • Speech and Language Impaired
  • Technology Education

Questions and Answers

  • Can I use substitute teaching for my Teacher Intern Certificate?   No, you must have a job offer for a full time permanent teaching position.
  • Can I do my internship in a parochial, private, online or charter school?   No, you must be employed by one of the 501 school districts in Pennsylvania.  Online coursework is not acceptable.
  • Will Cal U help me find a teaching position?   No, Cal U can not help you in finding a teaching position.  You must do this on your own.
  • How long do I have to finish all of the course work?  You have up to three years from the issue of the Teacher Intern Certificate to complete the program.
  • What if I cannot finish all of the course work due to conflicts with working and Cal U scheduling?   If you can not finish all of your course work, you will lose your Teacher Intern Certificate at the end of three years.
  • I have completed all of my course work, except for student teaching, at another institution.  Will Cal U accept me for just the internship?   No, you must take specified courses at Cal U, regardless of if you took the course at a different institution.

Contact Information