School of Graduate Studies and Research: Institutional Review Board
This section outlines what a researcher should do to apply for an Institutional Review Board (IRB) review and how the review process is conducted.
NOTE: This section applies to faculty, staff, and students of California University of Pennsylvania. Researchers from other institutions seeking to collect data at California University of Pennsylvania must first contact the IRB directly at email@example.com for instructions.
1. If you have not done so already, complete the required human participant protection online training course through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) .You need to submit a copy of your completion certificate(s) with your review request application. For studies with multiple researchers there should be a certificate for each researcher. In the case of student research, both the student and the faculty sponsor must submit completion certificates. No application will be reviewed if a copy of this certificate is missing.
- Go to https://www.citiprogram.org
- If a new user, follow the steps to create an account
- In response to the “Organization Affiliation” question, select “California University of Pennsylvania”
- Once the account is created, login with the username and password
- From the Main Menu, select “California University of Pennsylvania Courses”
- Select the “All Researchers Applying for IRB Approval” option
- Complete all required modules with a passing grade
- Review the list of Supplemental Modules for items applying directly to your study. The IRB strongly recommends(and may in some cases require) completion of applicable modules
- Retain a copy of the CITI completion certificate(s) and include with the review request.
- NOTE: Beginning with the 2016-2017 academic year, certificates from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) training course will no longer be accepted.
2. Complete the IRB review request form listed below. Instructions on what is required in the application are contained in the checklists.
NOTE: Please do not use old versions of the IRB Review Request Form. The current version is dated 02-11-2016. Version dates are in the footer of each page.
3. Include copies of consent forms (or cover letters for surveys, questionnaires and interviews). Use of the checklists will ensure that the content of these forms/letters meets guidelines.
4. This form should be signed by the principal researcher. For student research, the form should be signed by the student researcher and the faculty sponsor. The application will not be reviewed if any of these signatures is missing.
5. E-mail submissions of documentation (as attachments) is strongly encouraged by the IRB. Send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Paper forms should be submitted only via Campus Box 109.
7. This IRB office is currently located in Morgan Hall (LRC), Room 310.
8. All research proposals should be submitted to and approved by the IRB before any data are collected. The IRB will not approve any project after the fact.
Applications are reviewed by the IRB on a continuous basis throughout the fall and spring terms. Applications submitted during the summer term may experience significant delays in processing, as the IRB maintains only minimal operations during these months.
- Forms, Policies and Procedures
- IRB Review Request (NEW 02-11-2016)
- Review Request Checklists
- IRB Photo Release Form
- Informed Consent Checklist
- Survey-Questionnaire-Interview Consent Checklist
- IRB Faculty Authorization Application
Any further questions or comments should be sent to: email@example.com.