School of Graduate Studies and Research: Institutional Review Board
This section outlines what a researcher should do to apply for an Institutional Review Board (IRB) review and how the review process is conducted.
1. If you have not done so already, complete the required online ethics training course from the National Institutes of Health: Protecting Human Research Participants. You need to submit a copy of your completion certificate with your application. There should be a certificate for each researcher. In the case of student research, both the student and the faculty sponsor must submit certificates. No application will be reviewed if a copy of this certificate is missing.
2. Complete the IRB review request form listed below. Instructions on what is required in the application are contained in the checklists.
3. Include copies of consent forms (or cover letters for surveys, questionnaires and interviews). Use of the checklists will ensure that the content of these forms/letters meets guidelines.
4. This form should be signed by the principal researcher. For student research, the form should be signed by the student researcher, the faculty sponsor and the department chair. The application will not be reviewed if any of these signatures is missing.
5. E-mail submissions of documentation (as attachments) is strongly encouraged by the IRB. Send materials to email@example.com.
6. Paper forms should be submitted only via Campus Box 109.
7. This IRB office is currently located in the Psychology Department in Morgan Hall (LRC), Room 307.
8. All research proposals should be submitted to and approved by the IRB before any data are collected. The IRB will not approve any project after the fact.
Applications are reviewed by the IRB on a continuous basis throughout the fall and spring terms. The IRB announces deadline dates each term to allow sufficient time for processing. Applications submitted during the summer term may experience significant delays in processing, as the IRB maintains only minimal operations during these months.
- Forms, Policies and Procedures
- IRB Review Request
- Review Request Checklists
- IRB Photo Release Form
- Informed Consent Checklist
- Survey-Questionnaire-Interview Consent Checklist
- IRB Faculty Authorization Application
Any further questions or comments should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.