- B.S.Ed.: Elementary Education, California University of Pennsylvania
- M.Ed.: Elementary Education, Cal U
- Credentials: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Professional Certificate, Elementary Education Instructional II
Mellinger has 35 years' experience in elementary education as a classroom teacher for grades pre-K through 8. She served as a classroom teacher and a Title I math instructor, providing remedial math instruction to at-risk students and consulting with classroom teachers to enhance mathematical teaching techniques. Mellinger also served as a math coach, providing and modeling math strategies to elementary and middle school teachers.
At Cal U, Mellinger has developed course syllabi, taught many elementary/early childhood education classes, and attended and participated in campus-wide activities. In addition, she has provided individualized instruction in instructional strategies and introduction to early childhood education. Mellinger's expertise, passion and research tend to focus primarily on developing elementary and early childhood math techniques and strategies to increase student mathematical development.
- Teaching Mathematics
- Parent and Community Involvement in Education
- Assessing Child Performance
- Teaching Social Studies
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education
How children best learn, retain and master math facts while enjoying the experience and building self-confidence in all mathematical processes.
Service Learning Projects
- Committee member for Cal U's Red and Black Affair Extraordinaire, which raises money for student scholarships
- Corresponding secretary for Monongahela Women's Club
- Member of the Monongahela Historical Society
- Past president, secretary and treasurer of St. Anthony's Christian Mothers
- Member of the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Service Learning Projects
- Students participate in Make-It Take-It Night at Donora Elementary School in the Ringgold School District, which encourages parental involvement in education.
- In her Teaching Social Studies class, students prepare lessons about the Civil War and teach them in a one-room school house as part of Pioneer Days in Perryopolis.
- B.S. Education in Pre-K - 4 Education
- B.S. Education in Middle Level (Grades 4-8) Education
- A.S. Early Childhood Education
- B.S. Education in Early Childhood/Middle Level Education Services
"I believe that teaching is an art. My primary goal with the Elementary/Early Childhood Department is to pass this art and love for teaching on to the teacher candidates which I serve at Cal U."