- B.S.Ed.: Elementary Education, California University of Pennsylvania
- M.Ed.: Elementary Education, Cal U
- Credentials: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Professional Certificate, Elementary Education Instructional II
Mellinger has 35 years' experience in elementary education as a classroom teacher for grades pre-K through 6 as well as middle school-level summer school. She served as a Title I math instructor, providing remedial math instruction to at-risk students and consulting with classroom teachers to enhance mathematical teaching techniques. Mellinger also served as a math coach, providing and modeling math strategies to elementary and middle school teachers.
At Cal U, Mellinger has developed course syllabi, taught several elementary/early childhood education classes, and attended and participated in department meetings. In addition, she has provided individualized instruction in instructional strategies and introduction to early childhood education. Mellinger's expertise, passion and research tend to focus primarily on developing elementary and early childhood math techniques and strategies to increase student mathematical development.
Mellinger is married to Don, and they live in Monongahela, Pa. They have two sons, Matthew and Michael, also involved in education. Matthew is the athletic director in the Upper St. Clair School District. He is married to Dana, a physical education teacher at Boyce Middle School in the Upper St. Clair School District. They have a daughter, Makaela, 13 months. Michael is a physical education teacher at Marion Elementary School in the Belle Vernon Area School District. He is married to Heather, who is a stay-at-home mom who recently earned a master's degree in speech pathology at Cal U. They have two children, Julia and James.
- Teaching Mathematics
- Parent and Community Involvement in Education
- Assessing Child Performance
- Teaching Social Studies
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education
How children best learn, retain and master math facts while enjoying the experience and building self-confidence in all mathematical processes.
Service Learning Projects
- Committee member for Cal U's Red and Black Affair Extraordinaire, which raises money for student scholarships
- Corresponding secretary for Monongahela Women's Club
- Member of the Monongahela Historical Society
- Past president, secretary and treasurer of St. Anthony's Christian Mothers
- Member of the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Service Learning Projects
- Students participate in Make-It Take-It Night at Donora Elementary School in the Ringgold School District, which encourages parental involvement in education.
- In her Teaching Social Studies class, students prepare lessons about the Civil War and teach them in a one-room school house as part of Pioneer Days in Perryopolis.
- Department of Early, Middle and Special Education
- B.S. Education in Pre-K - 4 Education
- B.S. Education in Middle Level (Grades 4-8) Education
"I believe that teaching is an art. My primary goal with the Elementary/Early Childhood Department is to pass this art and love for teaching on to the teacher candidates which I serve at Cal U."