Dr. Joni L. Cramer Roh
- B.S.: Professional Physical Education with emphasis in Athletic Training, West Virginia University
- M.A.T.: Physical Education, Exercise, Science and Sport Studies, emphasis on Sports Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Ed.D.: Physical Education, Sport Psychology with a minor in Counseling, West Virginia University
Dr. Joni Roh is a Professor in the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies at California University of Pennsylvania. Roh joined California University in 1991 to teach and advise students enrolled in the undergraduate and graduate accredited Athletic Training programs. In 2006, Roh began teaching graduate courses in the Exercise Science and Health Promotions online programs.
Prior to coming to California, Dr. Roh was an Assistant Athletic Trainer at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. Roh's undergraduate degree was earned at West Virginia University in Physical Education with a minor in Athletic Training. She obtained her Master's of Arts in Teaching degree in Physical Education, Exercise, and Sports Science, with an emphasis in Sports Medicine, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She completed her doctorate in Sport Psychology with a minor in counseling at West Virginia University in 2001.
Dr. Roh's interests include psychology and sport injury and its effects on rehabilitation. Specifically, her dissertation evaluated "Patient Satisfaction Among Injured High School and College Athletes and Its Influence Among Rehabilitation Adherence and Rehabilitation Compliance." Dr. Roh has presented research relative to sport injury at nationally recognized symposiums (APA, AAASP, NATA) and has published articles in national peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Roh currently is a guest reviewer for The PASSHE FPDC Annual Grants Program, the Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, the Journal of Athletic Training, Sport Health, and the Strength and Conditioning Journal.
Dr. Roh has been involved in the profession of Athletic Training since 1986. She is a member of the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA), the Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association (EATA), the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Society (PATS), the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology (AAASP), and the American Psychological Association (APA). In 1995, she assisted the President of the EATA with the selection of speakers and topics for the annual meeting. In 2004, Dr. Roh was appointed to the NATA Post Professional Educator’s Committee where she currently remains active. In 2012, Dr. Roh was elected for her first 3-year term as the 2nd Vice Chair of the Kappa Omicron Nu Executive Board, and most recently in 2013, Dr. Roh was appointed to the Ad hoc CAATE PPE Annual Review Committee.
Dr. Roh is actively involved in the university, serving on the following committees: Tony McGrew Scholarship Committee, Departmental Evaluation and Promotion Committee, is a Mentor for the Virtual Vikings FLL Robotics Team in Morgantown, WV, and serves as the Secretary/Treasurer of the Chancery Hill Historic District. Additionally, in 2005 Dr. Roh received acceptance of application and became the Adviser of the Nu Omicron Chapter of the Kappa Omicron Nu (KON) Honor Society, which is a certified member of the Association of College of Honor Societies (ACHS). Dr. Roh resides in Morgantown, West Virginia with her husband Michael, her son, Adam, and daughter, Lucy. She enjoys traveling (traveled to Canada, UK, Scotland, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Kenya and Uganda). She also enjoys the outdoors that involves backpacking and camping. On a domestic note she loves to cook, make homemade breads and pies, and sewing/tatting.
- Leadership and Professional Development (PRF 760)
- Management and Leadership in Sport (SPT 770)
- Sport Psychology (SPT 300)
- Psychological Aspects of Sport Injury and Rehabilitation (PRF 753)
- Psychological Perspectives in Sport Performance Enhancement and Intervention (PRF 783)
- Special Topics in Sport Psychology (PRF 713)
- Research in Sport Psychology (PRF 830)
- Research in Rehabilitation (PRF 820)
- Newcomer Appaneal, R.R., Levine, B.R., Perna, F.M., and Roh, J. (2009). Measuring post-injury depression among male and female competitive athletes. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 31(1), 60-76.
- Newcomer Appaneal, R.R., Granquist, M.D., Roh, J., and Perna, F.M. (September 2008). Student-athletes' adherence and compliance to injury rehabilitation within an Athletic Training environment. Paper presented at the annual convention for the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology, Louisville, KY.
Affiliated Cal U Departments
- Department of Athletics: NATA BOC Certified Trainer for various varsity athletics (1991-2006)
- Student Affairs, and Sport Psychology: Started Counseling and Sport Psychology Internship at Cal U coordination with West Virginia University Sport Psychology Doctoral Program and Cal U Counseling Center
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE (Specific to Grant Funding)
- Spring 1999 Psychology/Counseling: A Universal Competency in Athletic Training, West Virginia University -- Writing of a position paper submitted to the Journal of Athletic Training based on numerous research findings and observations specific to an identified universal competency defined by the athletic training profession.
- 1997-1999 Psychological Distress Among Injured Athletes, West Virginia University -- Conducting psychological assessments (clinical interview and self-report) of depression and anxiety. Collaborating efforts with a licensed psychologist and experienced colleagues to enter data into a large-scale database. Collaborating efforts with a licensed psychologist and experienced colleagues to write and present papers at national conferences derived from the project under the supervision of the primary investigator (Dr. Frank M. Perna).
Service Learning Projects
- First Lego League (FLL) Robotics Mentor, Virtual Vikings, 2008-09: second place state championship (WV), Wheeling, WV; US Open Championship to represent the state of WV, Dayton, OH
- FLL Robotics Coach, Shark Solvers, 2007-200
- Helvetia Ramp Dinner, volunteer yearly at the Community Hall, Helvetia, WV
- Nu Omicron chapter of Kappa Omicron Nu (KON) Adviser at Cal U
- Post Professional Education Committee Member, NATA District 2 Representative
- Ad hoc CAATE PPE Annual Review Committee
- 2nd Vice Chair, KON Executive Committee
- Jump with Jill, Rockstar Nutritionist, liaison for Monongalia County schools for 1200+ elementary students
- Rock Your Tastebuds, nutrition education, presented to students (125) at Cheat Lake Elementary School enrolled in the Science and Health classes.
- Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies
- M.S. Exercise Science and Health Promotion
- P.M. Letter of Completion Exercise Science (all tracks)