Dr. Michael Hummel
- A.S.: Troy State University. Principle coursework and research areas: Liberal Studies, Criminal justice/police operations
- B.S.: Liberal Studies, University of the State of New York. Principle coursework: Liberal Studies, criminal justice/police operations
- Master of Public Administration: Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA). Public Administration, Public Policy and Political Science.
- Master of Philosophy: Columbia University. Principle coursework and research areas: Public Policy, Public Administration and Political Science.
- Ph.D.: Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Department of Social Sciences/Organization and Leadership: Concentration in Public Administration and Public Policy. Policy research focused on criminal justice and education programs.
- Associate professor of Leadership and Security Studies, Department of Justice, Law & Society
- Director of the Linda and Harry Serene Leadership Institute at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Adjunct Professor for the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs: Responsible for the development, instruction, and maintenance of elective courses, Homeland Security, and Terrorism in the Administration of Justice and Public Service Undergraduate Division.
- Dean, College of Liberal Arts, California University of Pennsylvania.
- Chair of the Department of Justice, Law & Society, and Associate Professor of Justice Studies and Homeland Security Studies at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Director of Leadership Studies (minor program). Teaching and developing courses on Leadership and Ethics in Justice Studies, Introduction to Leadership, Senior Seminar in Justice Studies, Senior Seminar in Leadership Studies.
- Adjunct Professor for the National Corrections and Law Enforcement Training and Technology Center, Division of Homeland Security and Public Safety, in Moundsville, WV. Developed and taught courses in Counter Terrorism, Homeland Security, Rural Police Operations, School Violence, and Leadership. Currently teaching advanced leadership courses to police-officer-leadership.
- Director of the Performance Assurance and Safety Division (PASD) for Wackenhut Security and Law Enforcement Services and the Department of Energy.
- Associate professor (Full-Time), of Criminal Justice Leadership, Terrorism, and Homeland Security at West Virginia Northern Community College:
- Assistant Professor and Director of the Leadership and Military Science Department at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Assistant Professor of Political Science at the United States Military Academy, West Point and program director of the Research Methodology course. Also served as a Leadership lecturer in the USMA honors program.
Additional Education and Work Experience
- Commander of a law enforcement unit: Responsible for more than 150 military and civilian members of the unit, conducting continuous law enforcement and public safety operations for more than 50,000 residents and employees at Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Executive officer: Responsible for the planning and administration of company logistic and support operations that included physical security, safety, environmental impact, performance evaluations, ensuring high quality operations, transportation, logistics, budget, special projects, operations, training, keeping the commander informed on all aspects of the company's operations and represented the commander in his absence.
- Assistant operations/training officer of a law enforcement unit: Responsible for the planning and training of more than 400 military police officers with various law enforcement missions.
- Special reaction team commander: Responsible for the training, planning, safety and evaluation of a 21-person special reaction team (SRT) to high-risk situations.
Operational Training, Administration Courses and Schools Attended
- Advanced Military Police Officers School (5 month course for military police commanders)
- Counter Terrorism Special Operations School (SOT Special Forces School)
- Tactical Team Operations Training (SRT/SWAT)
- Hostage/Crisis Negotiator School
- Explosive Entry Breacher's Training
- Protective Service School
- Countering Terrorism in Communities and Military Installations School
- Tactical Handgun Instructor's Course which included employment and safety considerations of firearms use.
- Nuclear, Biological and Chemical School
- Risk Management and Assessment Training
- Combined Arms Service Staff School
- Pre-Commander's Course
- Basic and Advanced Demolitions Training which included Improvised Explosive Devices and Conventional Explosives construction, employment, and safety considerations.
- Corporate and Private Security
- Corporate Security Law
- Terrorism and Homeland Security
- Research Methodology/Quantitative Analysis
- Leadership in Organizations
- Public Policy (Developing Criminal Justice Policy)
- Public Administration
- Financial Management
- Bureaucratic and Organizational Politics
- Transnational Threats (Organized Crime)
- Special Operations (SRT/SWAT)
- American Politics
- Executive Politics
- American Foreign Policy
- Military Science and Leadership
Published/Presented Work, Panels and Editorials
- Authored, develop, and chaired the 1st , 2nd and 3rd Annual Conference on Corporate and Homeland Security (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Security Studies: "Terror on the High Seas": Lecture/Paper presented to the Emeriti Faculty Annual Luncheon, California University of Pennsylvania, October 2009.
- Security Studies: "Security Challenges of the G-20 Summit" Lecture/Paper presented at G-20 Panel Conference, California University of Pennsylvania, October 2009.
- Security Studies: Cyber-terrorism: Peer reviewed article published in the Journal of Homeland Security Review, Summer Volume, August 2008.
- Security Studies: Maritime Security, "Criminals at Sea": Lecture/Paper presented at the "Many Faces of Piracy" Conference, California University of Pennsylvania, September 2008.
- Panel Chair for 2nd Annual Women's Conference (March 2007).
- Security Studies: Women in Combat, are Women at greater risk in combat than men? Paper presented at Global Women's Conference on Women at Risk in a Global Environment, California University of Pennsylvania, March 2006.
- Security Studies: Should Nuclear Security Be Our Top Priority? Peer reviewed article published in the Journal of Homeland Security Review, Winter Volume, December 2005.
- Security Studies: Lecture/Paper presented to the California University of Pennsylvania Honors Program: A Rational/Practical Look vs. a Skeptical Look at September 11th (9/11). California University of Pennsylvania, 11/3/2005.
- Security Studies: Panel Paper for the International Security Debate, Association of Community Colleges, "Preemptive Strike Policy: Are Preemptive Strikes Effective"?
- West Virginia Northern Community College, Wheeling, WV, February 2004.
- Security Studies: "Is Agro-Terrorism a Growing Security Concern" Wheeling News Register/Weirton Times October 2003.
- Security Studies: "Cyber-Terrorism" Wheeling News Register, September 2003.
- Security Studies: "Educating the Public on Terrorism" Wheeling News Register, July 2003.
- Survey Research for NASD (Dispute Resolution). Is the Arbitration Process at NASD Fair? The Neutral Corner, July 2000. Work was presented at: National Meeting Academy of Legal Studies in Business, St. Louis, MO, August 5, 1999.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Bronze Star
- Purple Heart
- Meritorious Service Medal (3)
- Combat Parachute Jump Bronze Star
- Expeditionary Medal w/Bronze Arrowhead
- Southwest Asia Medal
- Kuwaiti Liberation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal (3)
- Valorous Unit Award
- Presidential Unit Citation
- Army Achievement Medal (6)
- NCO Professional Development Medal
- National Service Medal
- Reserve Service Medal
- Combat Infantry Badge
- Master Parachutist Badge
- Ranger Tab
- Pathfinder Badge
- Air Assault Badge
- Special Forces Free Fall Jumpmaster
- National Society for Leadership and Success Teaching Excellence Award
- Teaching Excellence Award California University of Pennsylvania (2008)
- Service and Service Learning Award California University of Pennsylvania (2007)
- Teaching Excellence Award University of Pittsburgh (2008)
- Teaching Excellence University of Pittsburgh (2007)
- Awarded Colonel Aid De Camp (highest civilian award presented by the Kentucky State Police Commissioner) for the training and support of the Kentucky State Police SWAT team.
- Department of Justice, Law & Society
- B.S. Justice Studies