Elementary / Special Education Dual Certification

Site Search

A man in a tie smiles for the camera in front of a classroom.A man in a tie smiles for the camera in front of a classroom.

Master of Education: Elementary/Special Education (Dual)

Classes begin Fall, Spring and Summer

M.Ed. with Dual Pre-K-4/K-8 Certification (no current teaching certificate): This program is intended for applicants who do not already hold Pennsylvania teaching certification. Upon completion, the student will hold a master’s degree in special education.  After successful completion of PK-4 PECT Exam Modules 1, 2, & 3 and Special Education PK-8 PECT Exam Modules 1 & 2, students will be eligible for dual certification in Pennsylvania in Pre-K to grade 4 and Pre-K to grade 8 special education.  M.Ed. with Dual Pre-K-4/K-8 Certification (63 graduate credits)

The master of education in elementary/special education degree is available to students seeking Pennsylvania elementary education (pre-K-grade 4) certification, Pennsylvania special education certification (Pre-K-Grade 8) and a master's degree.  Candidates for Pennsylvania certification must have completed undergraduate or graduate studies that include 6 credits each of college-level mathematics and English and/or literature.  They must also complete 3 credits each of biology, physical science, environmental sciences, U.S. history, economics, health/wellness and instructional technology.  Students entering the program without all, or part, of the undergraduate requirements may meet them with additional coursework or by competency tests while they are taking the graduate classes.


Educators who are qualified to teach students with autism and other special needs are expected to be in high demand in the coming years, and data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 17% increase in the number of special educators between 2008 and 2018. Special-education positions are often more demanding, one administrator said, but those teachers may earn a higher salary than their general-education counterparts.  The Boston Globe (7/11)

Please Note: All students who will be seeking licensure/certification outside of Pennsylvania should consult the State Authorization web page for more information.