Master of Education: School Counseling PreK-12
Classes begin Fall, Spring and Summer
School counselors experience great personal satisfaction assisting PreK-12 students in their academic, personal, and career development, as they become happy, healthy, productive members of society. Careers in our school systems are expanding and job prospects are on the rise. This is the perfect time to complete your education with a master's degree in School Counseling.
Cal U has one of the best school counseling programs in the nation. Our program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). It is also accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
CalU offers an accelerated program for students of any undergraduate major. This can be completed in only 4 semesters and one summer. We also offer a more flexible program to accommodate your busy lifestyle and career. In addition, education majors or teachers can follow a streamlined process and get credit or waivers for some previously completed classes. Internships can also accommodate your busy life and career schedules.
An additional benefit of the School Counseling program is that you will also be qualified to complete requirements to become a Licensed Professional Counselor in Pennsylvania and other states at the same time. This will enable you to open a private counseling practice and receive reimbursement from insurance carriers.
CalU offers benefits that few masters programs can match:
- We are a fully accredited PDE, CACREP, NCATE/CAEP, and Middle States program.
- You can earn complete PreK–12 certification as a School Counselor.
- At the same time, you can work toward becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) with the same degree in School Counseling.
- You can become a Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC) upon graduation.
- We offer excellent field experiences, scheduled to fit around your busy life and career.
- If your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, you do not need MAT or GRE scores.
- You should be able to complete the degree in as little as 4 semesters and 1 summer.
- The total cost of our program is very economical, one of the lowest costs in the state.
- Many Graduate Assistantships are available to help cover the cost of tuition!
- You can begin this flexible program any semester with Fall, Spring, or Summer start dates.
Our students benefit from the many decades of experience offered by our empathic faculty, who pride themselves on developing skilled and caring professionals. So, if you are looking for a rewarding career and a stimulating profession helping others, school counseling may be for you.
To find more information about our programs, please use this link and type counselor education in the CalU search box at the top of the university page: http://www.calu.edu/
To apply for admission: http://www.calu.edu/apply-now.htm
We would be happy to spend some time with you to discuss your future as a counselor. To meet with our faculty for either an individual meeting or an open house, please email our department secretary Ms. Georgette Edwards at Edwards_g@calu.edu or call 724-938-4123.
For those students who hold a master's degree in related field, you may be eligible for our certification only program. The department will evaluate your transcript to determine which courses are required.
Prospective students are advised to read the CED Student Handbook, which describes the philosophy, admissions, and departmental procedures in detail.
Learn more about the master's curriculum.
For further information, contact Georgette Edwards, program secretary, at 724-938-4123724-938-4123 -Email to email@example.com].
Please Note: All students who will be seeking licensure/certification outside of Pennsylvania should consult the State Authorization web page for more information.
Complete applications for this program need to be submitted by:
Early admission application deadlines are:
February 15th - summer and fall start terms
September 15th - spring start term
Regular admission application deadlines are:
July 1st - fall start term
November 1st - spring start term
May 1st - summer start term
Cal U congratulates Grafton Eliason, the Graduate Coordinator for School Counseling, on receiving the 2014 Red Cross Hero in the education award!
After earning her B.A. in psychology (‘98) and her M.S. in counselor education ('00), Becky S. Karluk became a guidance counselor with the Central Greene School District in Waynesburg, Pa., where she is responsible for 600 students in grades 6-8. She is also responsible for all student records, both regular education and special education, as well as all state and achievement testing.
Where Our Graduates Are Working
- Apollo-Ridge School District
- Beaver County Area Vocational Technical School
- Bethel Park High School
- Brownsville Area School District
- California Area School District
- Charleroi Area Middle School
- Charleroi Area School District
- Connellsville Area School District
- Greater Latrobe School District
- Juniata County School District
- Laurel Highlands School District
- McGuffy School District
- Ringgold School District
- South Side High School
- Western Area Career and Technology Center