School Psychology: Internships and Careers
The school psychology internship requires that you complete a minimum of 1,200 hours of practical work experience under direct supervision of a qualified psychologist. A minimum of 800 hours must be completed in a realistic educational setting (i.e., public school system). The remaining 400 hours may be in a related setting (e.g., clinic, hospital, etc.). As an intern, you are expected to demonstrate all of the competencies of the practicing school psychologist.
Students can choose to do their internship or practicum at our School Psychology Clinic, a training facility for graduate students in the school psychology program.
The future demand for school psychologists is expected to be high. Schools, especially in the wake of recent incidents of school violence garnering national notoriety, are increasing their counseling and mental health services.
School psychologists typically work in elementary and secondary schools, hospitals, clinics and social agencies. Their work involves improving classroom strategies, resolving students' learning and behavior problems, working with students with disabilities as well as gifted students, and evaluating effectiveness of school services.
With the help of Career Services, we'll connect you to potential employers through networking events, job shadowing opportunities, on-campus recruiting, job and internship fairs, and organizational visits.
Where our graduates are working:
- Allegany County Schools, Cumberland MD
- Prince Georges County MD.
- Baltimore City Schools, MD
- Harrison County Schools, WV
- Barbour County Schools, WV
- Brownsville Area School District, PA
- Bethlehem Center School District, PA
- Trinity Area School District, PA
- Norwin School District, PA
- Washington School District,PA
- Peters Township School District, PA
- Charleroi School District, PA
- Belle Vernon School District, PA
- Canon-McMillan School District
- New Brighton Area School District, PA
- Uniontown Area School District
- Laurel Highlands School District
- Fort Cherry School District, PA
- Turkeyfoot School District, PA