Master of Arts Teaching: Student Teaching and Field Experience
While our other Master of Arts teaching (MAT) classes are offered at night or online, field experience and student teaching adheres to the high school schedule.
You'll need to complete a minimum of 24 hours of field experience in each semester that you're taking a Secondary Field Experience course. Prior teaching experiences will be taken into account when determining field experience hours. You can do your hours of field consecutively or you can space out your field over the 15-week semester. You cannot do your field work in the community where you're currently living or where you attended high school. Your secondary field experience placement will be assigned to you each semester, although you will be responsible for organizing times with your assigned teacher.
Following both Pennsylvania Department of Education regulations and Cal U policies governing graduate-level student teaching, there are several requirements:
- Student teaching must be done full time (no half days) and consecutively (no partial weeks) for a full semester.
- All content classes must be completed prior to student teaching (you cannot take other classes while student teaching).
- All MAT classes must be completed prior to student teaching, except Action Research in Secondary Education and Research Thesis in Secondary Education.
- Students in the MAT program must complete Praxis II for their certification area in order to apply for student teaching. Praxis II is the comprehensive exam required for graduation and certification.
- You must apply for student teaching several months prior to placement. June 1 is the deadline for fall placements and November 1 is the deadline for spring placements.
- Working during student teaching is not prohibited, but your work cannot interfere with the timely completion of student teaching assignments, such as grading papers or being available for parent/teacher conferences held after school. If student teaching suffers due to you working, you'll be removed from your placement and fail student teaching.
- You are not allowed to set up your own placement. Cal U has agreements with many high schools and you'll be placed with the teacher that we feel will give you the best experience.
- You cannot do your student teaching in the community you're currently living in or where you attended high school.
- You cannot do your student teaching in any school district where you have family or close friends employed or on the school board.
Cal U prepares you to enter the workforce with knowledge, integrity, character and experience. With the help of Career Services, we'll connect you to potential employers through networking events, job shadowing opportunities, on-campus recruiting, job and internship fairs, and organizational visits.
Where Our Graduates Are Working
- Belle Vernon Area School District
- Bethel Park School District
- Canon-McMillan School District
- Charleroi Area High School
- Deer Lakes School District
- Frazier School District
- Gateway School District
- McGuffey School District
- Montgomery County Public Schools
- North Side Urban Pathways Charter School
- Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School
- Ringgold High School
- Shanksville School District
- South Butler County School District
- Southmoreland School District
- Steel Valley School District
- Trinity Area School District
- Washington School District
- West Allegheny School District
- Youth Advocacy Program