Master of Social Work: Field Education and Careers
Field Education/Practicum Experiences
Because of the needs of the southwestern Pennsylvania region, there are a large number of opportunities for field experiences in both rural and small-town settings. A field coordinator will work together with you and help place you in these settings. Placement at your present place of employment can be arranged as long as it is an appropriate social work environment where the placement responsibilities differ from one's normal job responsibilities.
The goals of the MSW program are:
- To prepare ethical, competent, self-regulating MSW graduates for advanced generalist practice, with an emphasis on practice in rural and small-town environments.
- Promote leadership in regional development and human services problem-solving through non-metropolitan venues.
- Provide needed continuing education for social work professionals and other human service providers committed to serving rural and small-town populations.
This degree provides career opportunities in a variety of human service settings, including government agencies; mental and/or behavioral health care facilities; hospitals and outpatient health care agencies; schools; drug and alcohol programs; prisons and other legal settings; and family service agencies. Social workers provide direct or indirect services on behalf of individuals, families, groups and communities.
Cal U prepares you to enter the workforce with knowledge, integrity, character and experience. With the help of Career Services, we'll connect you to potential employers through networking events, job shadowing opportunities, on-campus recruiting, job and internship fairs, and organizational visits.
Where Our Graduates Are Working
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Chestnut Ridge Counseling Services Inc.
- Connellsville Counseling
- Family Pathways
- Gateway Rehabilitation Center
- Goodwill Industries of Pittsburgh
- Intermediate Unit 1
- Jefferson Regional Medical Center
- Pressley Ridge
- Southwest Regional Medical Center
- Southwood Psychiatric Hospital
- Stern Center
- United Mine Workers of America Health
- Value Behavioral Health of Pennsylvania
- Washington Hospital
- Washington Mental Health
- Youth Advocate Program