Student Technical Requirements
Students enrolling in the program should feel comfortable with their computer skills and should be familiar with the following software: E-Mail program (Ex: Outlook, AOL, Eudora, etc.), Word Processor (EX: Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, etc.), Web Browser (Ex: Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.).
In order to verify potential success in the online course environment, prospective students should ask themselves the following questions:
- Do I like to work independently?
- Do I need convenience and an adjustable schedule?
- Am I comfortable asking for clarification and continue to ask when I need more information?
- Am I comfortable working at a computer?
- Do I have experience surfing the World Wide Web, using e-mail, and using Microsoft Office?
- Am I comfortable working primarily within an online environment including text, graphics, and streaming video materials?
- Would I be comfortable phoning, E-mailing, or faxing my instructor if I had problems with anything in the course?
If you answer "yes" to most of these questions, then you are well positioned do just fine with online courses. If you hesitate on some of these questions, you will probably do just fine also, but may need to work harder and more deliberately at staying in touch with the instructor.For beginners (Elementary Arabic I), we are not going to require any special software. Students at this level are not required to type in Arabic. Hand written products/ assignments are required to be scanned, saved as a Microsoft Word documents or a PDF file and transmitted digitally to the instructor. Every students at this level will have to purchase or have:
- Access to the internet (and same requirements for D2L)
- Access to a webcam, a noise reducing microphone and speakers (most laptops have those built in already) and access to a scanner.
- Any further technical requirements needed during the course will be communicated to the students during the course/ semester.
For higher levels (Elementary Arabic II and higher):
- All previously mentioned requirements
- Students at this level may choose to type their assignments in Arabic. Thus, in addition to the same previously mentioned requirements, students may choose to purchase Arabic language packs for Microsoft Office.
- Keyboard to type in Arabic. However, instead of purchasing new keyboards students may choose to purchase keyboard layover pads and/ or Arabic keyboard stickers.
Any further technical requirements needed during the course will be communicated to the students during the course/ semester.