Exercise Science and Health Promotion
Classes begin Winter & Summer II Sessions Annually
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of health and fitness workers will increase by 19% through 2022. Since people are spending more time and money on fitness, businesses are recognizing the benefits of health and fitness programs and other services such as wellness programs for their employees. Cal U will prepare you for a rewarding career in this high-demand field.
Our online Master of Science degree in exercise science and health promotion is designed for working professionals and recent bachelor’s degree graduates in the health and fitness industry, including certified athletic trainers, physical therapists, health and physical education teachers, coaches, chiropractors, personal trainers, business owners, wellness counselors, military personnel, and other health/fitness professionals. The program is also a possibility for those wishing to make career changes and looking to enter the fitness related fields. Additionally, recent graduates from undergraduate programs in Physical Education, Coaching, Sport Management, Athletic Training, Kinesiology, Exercise Science and other similar programs are good candidates to enter this program.
The exercise science and health promotion online program can be completed in 12 consecutive months attending full-time or 17 consecutive months attending part-time. We have recently added 9 Dual Concentration options that can be completed in as little as 18 months!
We work closely with the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) to develop outstanding course content. NASM focuses on the development, refinement and implementation of superior educational programs for fitness, performance and sports medicine professionals.
Five distinct concentrations are available. Each of these degree concentrations is 36 credits to complete and is also offered as a 12 credit Certificate to those who already have a master’s degree:
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention
- Wellness and fFtness
- Rehabilitation Science
- Sport Psychology
- Wellness Coaching
Nine distinct DUAL Concentrations are also available for students to complete in either Winter or Summer cohorts. Each dual concentration is 48 credits and can be completed in as little as 18 months:
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Rehabilitation Science
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Sport Psychology
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Wellness Coaching
- Rehabilitation Science AND Wellness Coaching
- Rehabilitation Science AND Sport Psychology
- Wellness and Fitness AND Rehabilitation Science
- Wellness and Fitness AND Sport Psychology
- Wellness and Fitness AND Wellness Coaching
- Sport Psychology AND Wellness Coaching
These concentrations involve specific coursework preparing you for one of three NASM certification examinations:
- Wellness and Fitness - Certified Personal Trainer (CPT)
- Sport Performance Enhancement - Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES)
- Rehabilitation Science - Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES)
The Wellness Coaching concentration involves specific coursework preparing you for the Certified Wellcoach designation.
All students take specific coursework preparing you to become a Certified Specialist in Speed and Explosion (CSSE) made available from the National Association of Speed and Explosion (NASE).
Learn more about the master’s curriculum.
If you are interested in learning more about the five concentrations in the program, please send an e-mail to the appropriate address below:
- Wellness and Fitness Concentration: email@example.com
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention Concentration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rehabilitation Science Concentration: email@example.com
- Sport Psychology Concentration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wellness Coaching Concentration: email@example.com
GO Academic Programs in Athletics & Sports Counseling
Connect with Us
Cal U Graduate & Faculty Success Stories
“I believe that this program has brought together professionals from a variety of backgrounds and has enabled us to not only learn new information from the course contents but also from each other. This has been the most collaborative, in-depth learning process I have ever participated in and I would do it again if I had to.”
-Todd Laux, MS, ACSM HFI, NASM-PES
Three Cal U Global Online faculty members — Dr. Barry McGlumphy, Dr. Linda Platt Meyer and Professor Julie Ramsey-Emrhein — comprised the entire 2013 class inducted into the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers Society Hall of Fame. See Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers Society Hall of Fame Inductees to learn more.