Early Childhood Education
Classes begin Fall Sessions Annually
California University of Pennsylvania's Early Childhood Education program is a completely online graduate program for certified teachers interested in gaining a master's degree or additional certification in ECE. In the program, graduate students apply knowledge of child development, families and best teaching practices to a variety of educational settings, including public schools preK to grade 4 primary programs, preschool programs, Head Start, child care, and parenting and family support programs.
Our program emphasizes a constructivist teaching philosophy that takes into consideration the prior knowledge and background of individual learners. The program is based on best practices, is performance-based and engages learners in research-based practices that will prepare them to work with children pre-K to fourth grade.
The Early Childhood Education program is accredited by:
National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
Aligned with the standards of National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- All courses are offered online and there is no requirement to attend campus.
- Students are members of a cohort group that works together via the web.
- All courses feature asynchronous delivery. Students who have internet access can participate in the course and complete assignments from anywhere, anytime.
- Advising is available via telephone or email.
- Program requirements can be completed successfully in five semesters, including summers.
Learn more about the two program options:
ECE Master's plus Certification (33 credits minimum)-for individuals who desire a Master of Education degree while preparing to also seek certification in Early Childhood Education
ECE Master's Only (33 credits minimum)-for individuals who wish to earn a Master of Education degree but do not wish to pursue Early Childhood Education teaching certification.
ECE Certification Only (24 credits minimum)-for individuals seeking Early Childhood Education teaching certification but do not intend to earn a master's degree.