Early Childhood Education: Admissions
- Bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree with elementary, early childhood, or special education teaching certification
- Evidence of an earned GPA of 2.80 on a 4.00 scale, or a 3.00 in the last 48 credits
- A completed Online Application.
- An official transcript reflecting a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Official transcripts from institutions where a degree was not conferred will only be required in cases where the student wishes to have a transfer of credit evaluation completed.
- A copy of all current professional certificates held
- A current resume documenting professional work experience with children including ages/grades
- Applicants who do not have experience teaching ECE will be required to complete EDE 768 Teacher Education Internship. The resume must be comprehensive and complete. The Program Coordinator reviews the resume to identify ECE teaching experience and to determine whether EDE 768 will be required.
- The program coordinator and faculty will determine final recommendation for admission to the program.
The Master's plus Certification option:
- Previous teaching experience is not required, but teaching certification is required for admission.
- Applicants must be certified in Pennsylvania in N-3, K-6, or Special Education PK-12.
- Students residing in states other than Pennsylvania who wish to enter the Master's plus certification option will be given 6 months after admissions in which to secure and submit evidence of Pennsylvania Department of Education certification which the student should secure through reciprocity or other means.
- In Pennsylvania, the programs lead to "add-on" Level II, PK-4 teacher certification, which is granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
The Master's Only option:
- Applicants do not have to be certified in Pennsylvania, however they must have a certification in of Early, Elementary, or Special Ed. This program is for those seeking a Master's degree in teaching but do not wish to seek ECE Teaching Certification.
****Please check with your state's Department of Education for more information on reciprocity.****
Out of State Students:
All students who will be seeking certification outside of Pennsylvania are responsible for securing and following the certification requirements in the state in which they intend to apply for certification.
Send the application materials to:
School of Graduate Studies and Research, Box 91
California University of Pennsylvania
250 University Ave.
California, PA 15419