English as a Second Language (ESL)
Classes begin Summer, Fall & Spring Session Annually
California University of Pennsylvania's English as a Second Language (ESL) program is a completely online graduate program for certified teachers interested in gaining a master's degree or additional certification in ESL. The curriculum is aligned with the Pennsylvania Department of Education ESL Program Specialist Standards and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Standards.
Graduate students in the ESL program will apply knowledge in the following domains: language, culture, instruction, assessment, and professionalism. In each of these domains educators will be challenged to develop professionalism in language education, promote individual language rights, provide accessible and high quality education, develop collaboration in a global community, engage in research and reflective practice for educational improvement, and cultivate a respect for diversity and multiculturalism.
The ESL program is accredited by:
National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Enrollment requires that the student have a bachelor's degree or higher and teaching certification.
- All courses are offered online and there is no requirement to come to campus.
- Program requirements can be completed successfully in five semesters.
- Students are members of a cohort group that works together via the Internet/Web.
- Field-based components are an integral part of each ESL course which provide teachers an opportunity to apply their skills with English Language Learners (ELLs).
- All courses feature asynchronous delivery. Students can participate in the course and complete assignments at any time from any location with an Internet connection.
- Students can participate in class from anywhere, anytime.
- Advising is available via telephone or email.
- All coursework can be used to complete continuing education requirements under Pennsylvania's Act 48 professional development program. Students from other states may have similar requirements. Please refer to your state's specific requirements.
Learn more about the three program options:
ESL Master's plus Certification - for individuals who desire a Master's of Education degree while preparing to also seek ESL teaching certification.
ESL Master's Only - for individuals who wish to earn a Master's of Education degree but do not wish to pursue ESL teaching certification.
ESL Certification Only - for individuals seeking ESL teaching certification but do not intend to earn a master's degree.
Please Note: All students who will be seeking certification outside of Pennsylvania are responsible for securing and following the certification requirements in the state in which they intend to apply for certification.