Master of Education: English as a Second Language (ESL)
California University of Pennsylvania's Advanced Studies in Teacher Education is a completely online 33 credit graduate program for certified teachers interested in gaining a Master's degree, and seek additional certification in English as a Second Language (ESL). The curriculum is aligned with the PA Department of Education ESL Program Specialist Standards and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Standards. Graduate students in the English as a Second Language degree program will apply knowledge in the following domains: language, culture, instruction, assessment, and professionalism. In each of these domains educators will be challenged to develop professionalism in language education, promote individual language rights, provide accessible and high quality education, develop collaboration in a global community, engage in research and reflective practice for educational improvement, and cultivate a respect for diversity and multiculturalism.
- Enrollment requires that the student have a bachelor's degree or higher and teaching certification.
- All courses are offered online and there is no requirement to come to campus.
- Program requirements can be completed successfully in five semesters.
- Students are members of a cohort group that works together via the Internet/Web.
- Field-based components are an integral part of each ESL course which provide teachers an opportunity to apply their skills with English Language Learners (ELLs).
- All courses feature asynchronous discussion; i.e., messages are posted at any time and students can see previously posted messages by others.)
- Students can participate at any time of the day they wish.
- Advising is available via telephone or email.
- All coursework can be used to complete continuing education requirements under Act 48 - Pennsylvania. Your state may have similar requirements.