Student Technical Requirements
Students enrolling in the program should feel comfortable with their computer skills and should be familiar with the following software: E-Mail program (Ex: Outlook, AOL, Eudora, etc.), Word Processor (EX: Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, etc.), Web Browser (Ex: Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.).
In order to verify potential success in the online course environment, prospective students should ask themselves the following questions:
- Do I like to work independently?
- Do I need convenience and an adjustable schedule?
- Am I comfortable asking for clarification and continue to ask when I need more information?
- Am I comfortable working at a computer?
- Do I have experience surfing the World Wide Web, using e-mail, and using Microsoft Office?
- Am I comfortable working primarily within an online environment including text, graphics, and streaming video materials?
- Would I be comfortable phoning, E-mailing, or faxing my instructor if I had problems with anything in the course?
If you answer "yes" to most of these questions, then you are well positioned do just fine with online courses. If you hesitate on some of these questions, you will probably do just fine also, but may need to work harder and more deliberately at staying in touch with the instructor.
We recommend that the student also purchase a software package, such as Microsoft Office Suite, with word processing, spreadsheet, database, desktop publishing, and presentation software.