Master of Science in Sport Management Studies: Curriculum
The Master of Science in sport management studies provides you with a high quality educational experience via distance learning methods. To this end, the program is:
- Oriented toward professional development, leadership and management
- Designed to prepare you for leadership positions in the public, private non-profit and commercial sectors of the sport industry
- Directed toward practical approaches for meeting the challenges of the various segments of the sport industry
- Easy to work into busy schedules with asynchronous courses offered via the Internet
Get a description of each of Cal U's Sport Management Studies courses from our Course Catalog here.
You must select from one of these three program tracks:
- Sport Management Concentration
- Sports Counseling Concentration
- Intercollegiate Athletic Administration Concentration
Each track requires that you complete 36 credits to meet degree requirements. All three tracks require that you take the same 24 credits of core courses. For the sport management track, you must then complete an additional 12-credit mentorship, while the sports counseling and intercollegiate athletic administration tracks require that you complete an additional four courses.
Post-Bachelor Intercollegiate Athletic Administration Letter of Completion
We also offer you the opportunity to obtain a Post-BachelorLetter of Completion in Intercollegiate Athletic Administration. Learn more about the Letter of Completion.
Sports Counseling Certificate
We also offer you the opportunity to obtain a Certificate in Sports Counseling. Learn more about the Sports Counseling Certificate.
Below is a recommended framework of courses for completing the degree.
Master of Science in Sport Management Studies: 36 credits
|SPT 700 Research Methods in Sport||3|
|SPT 710 Socio-Cultural Aspects in Sport||3|
|SPT 720 Sport Marketing||3|
|SPT 730 Public Relations in Sport||3|
|SPT 740 Legal Aspects in Sport||3|
|SPT 750 Sport Finance||3|
|SPT 760 Sport Ethics||3|
|SPT 770 Management and Leadership in Sport||3|
CED 780 Issues and Techniques in Counseling Athletes
CED 781 Sports Counseling Programming
CED 782 Advanced Issues and Techniques in Counseling Athletes
CED 788 Contemporary Topics in Counselor Education
|SPT 799 Sport Mentorship||12|
|SPT 790 Sport Governance||3|
|SPT 791 Sport Compliance||3|
|SPT 792 Legal Aspects of Equity in Intercollegiate Athletics||3|
|SPT 793 Development Human Resource Strategies in Intercollegiate Athletics||3|