This process requires the applicant to submit the following materials directly to the Counselor Education Department:
- Fill out the Online Application.
- Documentation of a minimum 3.00 undergraduate as evidenced by an official transcript reflecting a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Official transcripts from institutions where a degree was not conferred will only be required in cases where the student wishes to have a transfer of credit evaluation completed.
- A one page typed resume of employment and education history.
- A 1000 word typed psychobiography. The applicant’s psychobiography serves a different purpose than does a resume. Life is a process of maturing, learning, and becoming. It is sometimes joyful, sometimes painful. The psychobiography is the applicant's own story. It should describe the psychosocial development of the writer. Applicants should examine their early influences, including family, significant others, economic, cultural and ethnic influences, athletics/sports, health and wellness, and important personal events. They should reflect on the course of their emotional, intellectual, and personal development during the school years and as it relates to athletics/sports. It might deal with questions such as: How did I cope with problems and stress? What values were instilled, accepted, and rejected? How did I become the person I am? What are my strengths and weaknesses? What do I hope for the future? In addition, how one has made the decision to seek the advanced training in sports counseling should be discussed.
- Three current letters of recommendation on letterhead from professional, academic, and/or business sources who can attest to your potential as a helping professional with the athlete population.
- An admissions interview may be required via in-person or telephone.
Please mail all official sealed transcripts to:
California University of Pennsylvania
The Office of Graduate Studies and Research
250 University Avenue
California, PA 15419
Please email or fax resume, psychobiography, and letters of recommendation to:
email@example.com or 724-938-4187.
Note that all materials must be received before the Admissions Committee reviews the application. The application deadline is April 24, 2015. Students may call the Counselor Education Department at 724-938-4123 to verify that all admissions materials have been received.