Chemistry: Current Student Resources
Cal U offers the following scholarships and awards each year:
- The J. Robert Craig Scholarship is a first-semester scholarship that is awarded to an incoming freshman or transfer student exhibiting excellence in the natural sciences.
- The Calvin Fleming Scholarship is awarded to an outstanding student majoring in the natural or physical sciences with preference given to students with a composite SAT of 1200 or more.
- The Lazzaro Family Scholarship is awarded annually to a distinguished chemistry major with highest academic achievement and then financial need.
The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh Award and the CRC General Chemistry Award are given annually to graduating seniors.
Professional and Student Organizations
Pittsburgh Conference (Pittcon)
For more than a decade, one or more faculty members in the Chemistry and Physics Department have been involved with the Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy.
The Pittsburgh Conference (Pittcon) is the largest scientific conference in the world and attracts more than 20,000 scientists, students, researchers and instrument manufacturers to its annual meeting each spring. Each year a small group of students from the Chemistry and Physics Department is given the opportunity to attend Pittcon as student aides. This has proven to be a tremendous experience for these students because they attend technical presentations and visit the exhibit floor (where virtually every state-of-the-art tool for chemical analysis is located), and can make use of an employment bureau that is set up for conference week.
The American Chemical Society (ACS)
The American Chemical Society is a self-governed individual membership organization consisting of more than 158,000 members at all degree levels and in all fields of chemistry. The organization provides a broad range of opportunities for peer interaction and career development, regardless of professional or scientific interests. The programs and activities conducted by ACS today are the products of a tradition of excellence in meeting member needs that dates from the Society's founding in 1876.
Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP)
Many of our faculty members are also involved with the SACP. The society offers frequent lectures, workshops, student awards/scholarships and grants.
Our Chemistry Club is an official club recognized by the Student Association Inc. (SAI). Officers are elected at the end of the spring semester for the following academic year. Meetings are usually held every Tuesday during the semester at 11 a.m. in Natali Student Center, Room 127.
- President: Charles France
- Vice President: Sharon Groover
- Treasurer: Adam Stimmel
- Secretary: James Novobilsky
- Outreach Chair: Jesse Garland
- Fundraising Chair: Dana Hess
- Field Trips Chair: Chelsey Saler
- Social Media: Jake Monroe