General Education: Composition
Students will have the ability to communicate ideas effectively in writing.
Knowledge and Comprehension:
- To demonstrate a capacity to carry out the planning, drafting, revising and editing stages of the writing process;
- To acquire the ability to construct, explain and illustrate interpretations of readings; and
- To recognize both what a text says and how it works (its rhetorical strategies).
- Application and Analysis:
- To analyze the elements of the writing situation (subject, purpose, audience) as a foundation for writing;
- To apply rhetorical strategies in writing expository and argumentative essays; and
- To produce prose that is clear, coherent, convincing and correct.
- Synthesis and Evaluation:
- To write essays that formulate original positions on a problem or issue in the context of a synthesis of multiple published sources;
- To assess the usefulness and reliability of potential print and electronic resources for a proposed research project; and
- To plan, develop and write an appropriately documented and formatted research paper.
ENG 101 and 102 OR HON 150 and 250.