Music Minor: Curriculum
The Music Department offers courses in basic musicianship, theory, music history, education, applied electives and ensemble performance.
Get a description of each of Cal U's music courses from our Course Catalog.
Below is a recommended framework of courses for completing the minor.
Music Minor: 24 Credits
(nine of the 24 credits for the minor must be at 300 and/or 400 level.)
Required Courses (9 credits):
- MUS 100 Introduction to Music
- MUS 215 Comprehensive Musicianship I
- MUS 315 Comprehensive Musicianship II.
History, Theory and Education Electives (9 credits minimum—pick three):
- MUS 300 Jazz: History, Form & Analysis
- MUS 304 The American Musical: History, Form & Analysis
- MUS 305 African American Gospel and Caribbean Music: History, Form & Analysis
- MUS 306 The Opera: History, Form & Analysis
- MUS 310 Music in the Media: History, Form & Analysis
- MUS 313 Rock & Roll: History, Form & Analysis
Applied Electives (3 credits minimum):
Option 1 (one of the following)
- MUS 104 Voice Class (3 credits)
- MUS 211 Class Piano (3 credits)
The following courses (1 credit per semester) are repeatable to a maximum of 8 credits each.
- MUS 109-409 Brass
- MUS 119-419 Piano
- MUS 129-429 Percussion
- MUS 149-449 Woodwind
- MUS 159-459 Voice
- MUS 170-470 Guitar
- MUS 179-479 Strings
Performance Electives (3 credits minimum):
The following courses are repeatable to a maximum of 8 credits. The option to continue without credit is available.
- MUS 187 Guitar Ensemble
- MUS 188 Orchestra
- MUS 191 University Choir
- MUS 192 California Singers (Audition only)
- MUS 193 Gospel Choir
- MUS 196 Jazz Ensemble (Audition only)
- MUS 198 Marching Band
- MUS 199 Concert Band
- MUS 307 Special Music Project