Plans are under way for a fresh and insightful alumni mentoring program at Cal U. This program will not only benefit our undergraduate and graduate students, but also our alumni, advisers, faculty and Cal U in general.
So what is the Cal U Career Network?
The Cal U Career Network is a network of alumni and employers who have offered to share their career experiences with Cal U students and alumni. We invite you to become a part of this network! As a Cal U Career Network volunteer, you may choose to do any of the following:
- Talk with a Cal U student or graduate about your job or career by phone, e-mail or in person
- Host a tour or Job Shadow Experience
- Visit campus to speak to a class or club
- Hire a cooperative education student or an intern
- Hire a Cal U graduate
Students: Why participate?
The alumni mentoring program aids our students immensely! Students fill out a short online application filled with questions revolving around life goals and career interests. Next, the application is reviewed and you are paired up with an alumna/alumnus from Cal U within your job genre who is graciously eager to help you. Our alumni mentors will provide frequent contact through e-mail, phone, luncheons and dinners and host tours of their workplaces and exciting alumni events! This program is nothing like an internship; it is more of a person to maneuver you in your path toward the work force.
Our alumni mentors push for you to talk openly with them about all the burning questions you are aspiring to know.
- How do I build a resume and portfolio?
- What is life like after graduation?
- What internships will benefit me in my job search?
All of these questions and more can be answered through your very own alumni mentor!
Alumni: Why Volunteer?
When you begin your exploration of career decisions and options, some of the best advice you may receive is from the personal experiences of more experienced individuals.
The Alumni Association and Office of Career Services co-sponsor several programs to assist alumni in connecting with students and other alumni while developing their own professional skills. This career information-sharing and networking program is a useful tool for our students and alumni alike.
So how can you get involved?
Simply visit collegecentral.com and follow these easy steps:
- Click on "Join our Mentoring Network"
- Enter the password "vulcan" and click "Access Mentoring Network"
- Click on "Add My Mentoring Profile"
- Enter the appropriate information; then click "Save Profile"