A view of Old Main and South Hall.A view of Old Main and South Hall.

Donora Digital Collection: The Town of Donora

Industry, community, and living were closely integrated in Donora and the surrounding area.  Showcasing the center of town, these images include: photo shoots, street views of McKean Avenue, buildings in town, recreational activities, Donora postcards, community members, aerial photographs, and future design plans.

Image

Photo: August V. Siren community photography shoot near 12th Street on McKean Avenue, looking North.

ImageImage

Left:   Looking North on McKean Avenue to 7th, c1925.  NOTES: "The Famous" men's store, Grand Theater, and Brown's Jewelry appear on the left.  On the right is the Community Center and Donora Hotel.
Right: Looking South from 7th Street on McKean Avenue with a view of people, a trolley, and a buggy, c1915.

ImageImage

Left:   Facing North, visualizing the fog -- street lights on McKean Avenue.
Right: Activity on McKean Avenue, looking South the 6th Street and the Irondale Hotel, c1950s.

ImageImage

Left:   Postcard on the Grand Theatre, c1910.
Right: McKean Avenue postcard, c1910.

ImageImage

Left:   ASW miniature golf course on 7th Street and McKean Avenue, mail pouch sign in background, c1920.
Right: Postcard of a street scene at Donora, looking South on McKean Avenue and 6th Street.

Image

Image: Postcard of a bird's eye view of Donora taken from Heslep Avenue, focusing on the American Steel & Wire Co.

ImageImage

Left:   The town of Donora and its housing near the Acid Plant.
Right: The town of Donora, housing and mills, possibly the Zinc Works in the background, before 1915.

ImageImage

Left:   Webster Bridge across the Monongahela River; taken from Webster, PA and looking Southwest to Donora, PA.
Right: Street scene of either McKean Avenue or Meldon Avenue and view of the Miller's Building.

Image

Photo: McKean Avenue looking South towards Caster School.

ImageImage

Left:   Postcard of the Donora Post Office.
Right: Horse and wagon outside the Donora Hotel, otherwise known as the Community Center.

ImageImage

Left:   Zinc Works from Gilmore with Webster, PA in the background.
Right: Zinc Works showing elevated rails for bringing in coke with Webster, PA in the background.

ImageImageImage

Left:     Town band playing for the community at Hotel Indiana, c1910.
Center: Donora community at the laying of the corner stone for St. John's Church on 10th Street and Thompson Avenue.
Right:   Opening day at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church on Thompson St., June, 1903.

ImageImage

Left:   Highland Inn on Thompson Avenue, between 4th Street and 5th Street.
Right: Bank of Donora on the corner of 5th Street and McKean Avenue (near the Methodist Church).

ImageImage

Left:   Hotel Donora, which functioned as the Community Center -- taken on the corner of 7th Street and McKean Avenue.
Right: Looking Southwest to nearby Monessen, PA.

ImageImage

Left:   Chief Gustar Schaff with the Donora Fire Company in front of the Borough Building on Thompson Avenue, between 4th Street and 5th Street, c1915.
Right: Donora Fire Station and Truck outside the Borough Building on Thompson Avenue, c1950.

ImageImage

Left:   Looking East toward the Wire Works, taken from the backyard of Dave Ceccone, 457 3rd Street, c1943-1955.
Right: August V. Siren photo of the Webster Bridge, c1910.

Image

Photo: Zinc Works and Municipal Building, taken from 10th Street and looking Northeast.

ImageImage

Left:   The Brown Jeweler's street clock, c1910.
Right: Trucks of the Donora Lumber Company, Meldon Avenue near 3rd Street.

ImageImage

Left:   Map showing the locations of nurse visits during the 1948 smog episode, Board of Health Report, 1950.
Right: Map showing the locations of 18 of the 21 deaths in Donora due to the 1948 smog episode, Board of Health Report, 1950.

ImageImage

Left:   Depart of Defense Aerial photo of Donora and Webster, 1941.
Right: Aerial view of Donora's industries along the horseshoe bend, in Wire Works News, 1946.

ImageImage

Left:   H. Sellers McKee Plant Design at Jeannette, PA (AKA "The Glass City").
Right: Street plan and lot owners for West Columbia, c1985.