Site Search

A view of Noss Hall.A view of Noss Hall.

Placement Testing Information and Registration

New freshmen and some transfer students, depending on their SAT and/or ACT scores or transfer credits, are required to take placement tests at California University to determine their level of ability in mathematics and writing.  Students who do not submit SAT/ACT scores or transfer credits must take placement tests.  Students who do not achieve predetermined scores on these tests must enroll in appropriate developmental courses. 


SAT or ACT Writing scores, or equivalent transfer credits from another institution will determine placement into an English Composition course.  Students who don't have SAT, ACT scores or transfer credits will need to take the test.

  • students with an SAT-Writing score equal to or greater than 460 or an ACT-Writing score equal to or greater than 19 will place into English Composition I
  • students with an SAT-Writing score below 460 or an ACT-Writing score below 19 will place into English Language Skills *
  • students who have been given transfer equivalency for Cal U's English Language Skills will place into English Composition I

* English Language Skills is a developmental course. Students may take the English placement test to see if they can bypass the course to take English Composition I.


Students are required to take the Math Placement Test, with the following exceptions:

  • the Math test is waived for students who have been notified that they have been given transfer credit for the equivalent of a Cal U 100-level or higher math course
  • students in majors that do not require College Algebra or a higher-level Math course and whose SAT-Math is equal to 440 or ACT-Math is equal to 18
  • students in majors that are math-intensive (e.g. science, engineering, computer science, etc.) whose SAT-Math score is equal to 520 or ACT-Math score is equal to 22*

*Note: Science, math, computer science or other math-intensive majors requiring Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus or Calculus with a SAT-Math score equal to or greater than 520 or ACT-Math score equal to or greater than 22 should take Parts C (College Algebra) and D (Trigonometry) of the Math Placement Test.

Placement Testing Options for Students 

Current Students and New Students Spring and Fall Semesters:

  • Take the tests on the main campus in the Placement Testing Center in Noss Hall Room 215 by contacting Claire Pizer at or (724) 938-5779. Appointments are available Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
  • Take tests online with assistance from a local proctor. Students are eligible to take the tests but must find someone locally to oversee them. A proctor can be a guidance counselor, teacher or staff member of a local high school or college. Once you find a proctor please have them contact the Placement Testing Center at or (724) 938-5779 for instructions prior to testing.

Other Option for New Students in the Fall Only:

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

  • Require requests from the student, appropriate documentation and prior approval
  • Accommodations must be approved a minimum of one week prior to the testing date
  • The disability services staff may adjust test times/dates to accommodate student/staff needs
  • Direct requests/inquiries to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) at (724) 938-5781 or