Job Shadow Experience Program
- What's a career in __________ really like?
- What jobs will I be able to apply for with my major?
- How can I break into my field?
Find answers to these questions by participating in the Job Shadow Experience program, where students spend from one to five days observing and working with professionals in their career interest fields. The purpose of the program is to give students the opportunity to explore career fields and provide them with a realistic view of a typical day on the job.
Why participate? You will:
- Gather information and establish contacts in your career field
- Gain a firsthand impression of a specific work environment
- Receive practical ideas and insider advice about how to enter that field
- Get the names of other people in your field of interest who can help build your career network
What will I do during the Job Shadow Experience program?
The program varies by organization, but some experiences could include:
- Observing interactions with colleagues and customers
- Conducting informational interviews with staff
- Attending meetings and other organizational events
- Helping out with office tasks, reports or projects
- Assisting with classroom projects
- Learning office policies and procedures
- Touring facilities
- Learning networking techniques
How do I get started?
- Register on the Hire CalYOU and search for sponsors
- Contact the Career & Professional Development Center if you do not find a sponsor in your career interest area
- Complete the Job Shadow Experience application
- Complete the liability waiver form
- Develop a resume
- For assistance in creating your resume, contact Career Services
- Submit Job Shadow Experience application, liability waiver and resume to the Career & Professional Development Center before deadline date
- Attend a mandatory information session