Job Shadow and Information Interview
What's a career in __________ really like?
- What jobs will I be able to apply for with my major?
- How can I break into my field?
Find answers to these questions by participating in an information interview and/or a job shadow!
Why participate? You will:
- Gather information and establish contacts in your career field
- Gain a firsthand impression of a specific work environment
- Receive practical ideas and insider advice about how to enter that field
- Get the names of other people in your field of interest who can help build your career network
What will you do during an information interview or a job shadow?
Opportunities vary depending on the company or organization, but you could request to do any of the following:
- Observe interactions with colleagues and customers
- Conduct informational interviews with staff
- Attend meetings and other organizational events
- Help with tasks, reports or projects
- Tour facilities
How do you get started?
- Register on LinkedIn and search for professional contacts using the CAL U Career Network or California University of Pennsylvania Alumni groups.
- Prepare for your information interview or job shadow
- Schedule an appointment with your Career Advisor in the Career & Professional Development Center to review your resume and LInkedIn profile and ask any questions before doing your information interview/job shadow.
- Send the professional contact a thank you after the information interview or job shadow! See the Red Book for a sample thank you letter/e-mail.