Career Mentoring & Professional Networking
Professional networking is so important in gaining a career advantage - in fact, it's how most people find an internship or job. Through networking you can also:
- learn what a job in your field of interest is really like
- establish contacts in your career field who can help you build your career network
- gain a firsthand impression of a specific company or organization of interest to you
- receive practical ideas and insider advice about how to enter your career field
- learn more about the professional skills and savvy needed to successfully transition from college to the world of work
THE CAL U CAREER NETWORK
The Cal U Career Network is a group of Cal U students, graduates and employers on LinkedIn who are interested in professional networking. Student interested in exploring career options, learning more about a career field, or getting inside tips for a job or internship search can send messages via Linkedin to others in the group. Here is how you can get started:
- Join the Cal U Career Network group on LinkedIn. New to LinkedIn? Check out these tips and tutorials to help you get started.
- Prepare questions you want to ask the professional(s) you are contacting ahead of time. This is called an informational interview.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with your Career Advisor in the Career & Professional Development Center for additional networking tips and contacts!