Career Mentoring & Professional Networking
Professional networking is so important in gaining a career advantage - in fact, it's how most people find an internship or job. Through networking you can also:
- learn what a job in your field of interest is really like
- establish contacts in your career field who can help you build your career network
- gain a firsthand impression of a specific company or organization of interest to you
- receive practical ideas and insider advice about how to enter your career field
- learn more about the professional skills and savvy needed to successfully transition from college to the world of work
The Career & Professional Development Center provides two ways for you to build your network:
THE CAL U CAREER NETWORK
The Cal U Career Network is an online network of Cal U graduates and employers who have offered to share their career experiences and job search advice with students and alumni, giving you the opportunity to explore career options by talking with someone who is working in a career that interests you. This is called an informational interview.
Students and alumni can join the Cal U Career Network group on LinkedIn.
New to LinkedIn? Check out these tips and tutorials to help you get started.
CAL U CAREER COACH PROGRAM
The Cal U Career Coach program offers motivated Cal U juniors and seniors (proteges) like you an opportunity to be paired and interact with a "Career Coach" who is a Cal U alumnus or friend of the university.
Workshops and other career events, including a kickoff event, will be scheduled throughout the year where you can meet with your Career Coach to network and talk about topics such as building a professional network, conducting your internship/job search, interviewing, expectations as you begin your career after college, and tips for career advancement.
You can also interact with your Career Coach via email, telephone, Skype or in-person meetings that can be arranged independently.
Click here to get more information and apply for the Career Coach program.