Each year the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) selects approximately a third of the students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Verification. The Financial Aid Office will compare information from your FAFSA with information such as verification worksheets, IRS Data Retrieval or IRS Tax Transcripts, W2’s and other documentation that the Financial Aid Office may require a student and parent to submit. Federal regulations require this information to be verified before awarding federal aid (i.e. grants, loans and works study). If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, the Financial Aid Office will make corrections electronically.
In some situations where there is conflicting data, the student or parent may be required to provide additional documentation. This could include W2’s, 1098 forms, written explanations, proof of federal benefits, etc. If errors are found, the Financial Aid Office will make corrections to your record. Once Verification is complete, your financial aid will be finalized and you will be able to review your awards on the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP) at vip.calu.edu.
- Provide requested verification documentation in a timely manner to the Financial Aid Office.
- All verification documents (i.e., verification worksheet, tax transcripts, W2’s, letter of explanation) must be complete, legible and contain all appropriate signatures. If any documents are received incomplete, the Financial Aid Office will ask the student to resubmit the appropriate documents.
- All verification documents must be clearly labeled with the student’s full name and Campus Wide ID (CWID).
- Provide additional documentation or a statement of explanation as requested to clarify conflicting information.
Students should be aware:
- No financial aid (including work study and student loans) will be awarded to the student until Verification is complete.
- PLEASE NOTE: New freshman students will receive an award package prior to verification being complete .This package will be tentative and no aid will disburse to the student’s account until verification is completed.
- During peak processing periods (between April and September), allow a minimum of four weeks for the Financial Aid Office to complete verification of your record.
- Students are expected to respond to any requests from the Financial Aid Office in a timely manner in order to avoid delays in the processing of their request for financial aid for the academic year.
- Failure to complete verification prior to withdrawal from the University or by the end of the academic year (whichever comes first) may result in total forfeiture of financial aid eligibility for the academic year
Below are links to all Verification Worksheets a student or parent may have to submit to the Financial Aid Office.