Site Search

Student EligibilityStudent Eligibility

Student Eligibility

In order to be employed on campus, you must be enrolled in a California University of Pennsylvania sponsored program of instruction. Such programs include, but are not limited to, degree-seeking programs, certification programs, or Cal U exchange or partnership programs. Students must not begin working until they have received authorization and written approval from the Financial Aid Office (undergraduate) or the School of Graduate Studies and Research. International students must first have approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before seeking on-campus employment.

How Do You Get Paid?

Before your first day of work, you must fill out the required Payroll Forms and get a Work Approval Slip from your department supervisor. In addition, all annual tax withholding forms and the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 must be submitted within one business day following your first day of employment.  Acceptable I-9 documents appear on the back of the Form I-9, which can be obtained from the University's Payroll Services Office in Dixon Hall, or through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

When reporting to the Payroll Office, you must bring your original Social Security card (metal cards are not acceptable) or ITIN card. If you do not have an original Social Security card or ITIN card, you must still report to the Payroll Office. Students without their Social Security card can obtain one by completing Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, which is available from the university Payroll Office, the local Social Security office or online.

At the end of each biweekly pay period, each department must submit its student employee time into the payroll system or via timesheets to the Payroll Office. Payments cannot be issued without the submission of hours worked. Payroll is processed and payments are issued to students, each biweekly Friday, for the prior two-week period..

Students may be paid by check, but direct deposit is recommended. Paychecks are not released prior to payday. 

Will Taxes be Taken Out of Your Paycheck?

All wages paid to student employees are subject to federal, state and local taxation; however, certain exceptions apply.

Taxes for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens

Students classified as U.S. citizens and resident aliens are subject to all applicable taxes.  Students enrolled at least half-time may be exempt from FICA and Medicare withholding, based on the Student FICA Exemption (Section 218 Agreement) of the Social Security Act.

Non-resident aliens

Non-resident alien students may be exempted from paying Social Security taxes based on the student's visa type and duration of presence in the United States. Non-resident alien students may also be exempt from Social Security taxes under the Student FICA Exemption (Section 218 Agreement) of the Social Security Act. Non-resident alien students (and certain resident alien students) may be eligible to claim exemption from federal tax withholding if their permanent residence is one that has a treaty agreement with the United States, providing all conditions such as presence test and income limitations are met. For more information, contact John Watkins in the Office of Student  Affairs at 724-938-1599. State and local tax jurisdictions do not recognize tax treaties; therefore, these taxes are withheld from all student wages, based on the local address given by the student for his/her most recent enrollment/employment at California University of Pennsylvania.

How Many Hours Can You Work?

Undergraduate students are limited to eight hours per week when classes are in session.

Students are not permitted to work when classes are not in session, such as Spring Break.

Students receiving wages supported by a grant are paid the prevailing wage rate unless a higher rate was approved in the grant proposal.

A student's eligibility for continuance on the University payroll terminates as of the student's official withdrawal or graduation date from California University.

When and How Do You Get Paid?

All students are paid on a biweekly "after the fact" basis as listed on the Payroll Schedule.  Paychecks and direct deposit statements are available each payday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at the information desk in the Natali Student Center. Paychecks not picked up by the end of the current two-week period are returned to the Payroll Office. Paychecks are not released prior to payday.

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available and students are encouraged to utilize this convenient service. Forms are available at the Payroll Office. Once the direct deposit has been activated, your must notify the Payroll Office prior to making changes or closing the account.  Failure to do so may result in a delay of payment.

Is this your first work-study job?

Be sure to complete and return all the necessary Payroll Forms to the Payroll Office in Dixon Hall. You will receive a work-study approval slip, which must be given to your department supervisor before you can begin working.