Cal U welcomes working with responsible landlords through its Off-Campus Housing Office.
The office seeks to educate students about their rights and responsibilities as renters. Landlords must agree to abide by the University's non-discrimination policy and be aware of disclaimers. For more information, contact the office by phone or e-mail or visit in person.
Like their tenants, landlords have responsibilities with regards to their property. They must:
- Comply with the health and safety standards and codes to ensure that the property (the building and outdoors) is safe, and sanitary.
- Maintain a fit and habitable living environment.
- Ensure that all electrical, plumbing, heating, and ventilation systems in addition to fixtures are in good working condition.
- Ensure that running water (hot and cold) is provided.
- Give tenants 24 hours notice, unless in an emergency, before they enter the tenant’s unit. They may only enter at reasonable times and in an appropriate manner.
- Ensure that he/she is following PA Tenant-Landlord Law with regards to the legal process of eviction.