Office of Student Conduct-Mediation and Conflict Resolution
Mediation and Conflict Resolution
The Office of Student Conduct provides assistance through proactive conflict resolution options, hoping to prevent escalation of situations including:
- Conflict Coaching where staff discuss causes and possible responses and outcomes of a conflict to prepare a student to address the conflict
- Mediation where a neutral third party facilitates a structured discussion among those involved in a conflict to reach a mutual resolution
- Restorative Justice where a third party facilitates a meeting to reach a mutual agreement that repairs harm caused by a situation
- Facilitating Dialogues where staff help students communicate, directly or indirectly, to allow concerns and opinions to be voiced in a safe and appropriate manner
- No Contact Directives where staff limit interactions when a student feels continued communication with another would create or escalate a negative situation
Participation in Mediation or other Conflict Resolution options must be voluntary except for no contact directives which can be issued without the agreement for some circumstances.
These conflict resolution options are intended to help resolve conflicts and problems in a civil manner to avoid situations escalating into larger problems. Several are designed to allow both sides to express their views and develop an understanding of the needs and opinions of others. Individuals going through conflict resolution will be guided in listening and compromising in order to reach a resolution.
Conflict Resolution Improves Personal Skills
Participating in a conflict resolution option can help students improve personal skills, including:
- Ability to compromise
- Ability to identify alternative solutions
Using Conflict Resolution
Contact the Office of Student Conduct at 724-938-4439 to discuss participation in any of the conflict resolution options
Student Code of Conduct
Read the Student Code of Conduct.
Review the Student Handbook for more information on regulations governing student life and conduct.
Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.