Getting Started

Site Search

Applying for benefits

California University of Pennsylvania Statement of Service:

California University of Pennsylvania is honored to serve members of our Armed Forces, Reserve & National Guard, Veterans, and Dependents.

As part of our mission to provide the best service to our military family, CALU is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) Consortium of Schools. Also, our staff are members of the National Association of Veteran's Program Administrators (NAVPA). Furthermore, CALU  participates in the United States Army's GoArmyEd program for active duty Army Soldiers as well as Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers.

Our Office of Academic Success, Office of Articulation and Transfer Evaluation, Office for Students with Disabilities, Global Online Armed Forces and Veterans Affairs staff offer a wide variety of services and resources to help you succeed. In addition, our Career & Professional Development Center, Mentoring Program and also Student Affairs provide additional programs while you are a student at Cal U and also when you graduate.

The CALU Office of Military & Veterans Affairs has been serving members of our Armed Forces, Reserve & National Guard, Veterans, and Dependents for more than 40 years. Our faculty and staff are here to support and serve you as your pursue your higher education at CALU. Potential or current students who wish to speak to the Office of Military Veterans Affairs may do so by calling (724) 938-4076 or e-mail

Students at California University Main Campus, Southpointe and Global Online have several steps to take in order to apply for and use Veterans education benefits. The steps are different based on first-time students or transfer students (including students pursuing graduate degrees after earning an undergraduate degree).

New Students

For new students and those who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education, below are the steps to follow - this includes the necessary steps to enroll at California University of Pennsylvania.

  1. Apply for Admission to California University of Pennsylvania
  2. Register and complete the academic placement tests, if needed
  3. Transfer credits from other colleges and request military transcripts - See Note 1 below with websites for each branch of service
  4. Apply for Financial Aid
  5. Apply for the appropriate education benefit through the Department of Veterans Affairs by completing the VA Form 22-1990 (Veterans & Reservists, to include Post 9/11 transferability program) or VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA) - See Note 2 below with information and required documentation to provide for application
  6. Contact the Office of Military & Veterans Affairs once you are approved for your education benefit by e-mailing: - You will be required to complete a one-time Responsibility Form as well as each semester the Cal U VA Application for Enrollment - See Note 3 below with tips and reminders for your benefits each semester to ensure timely payments

NOTE 1: In order to complete your admission packet, you will need to request your military transcript from your respective branch of service:

For information and processes on requesting military transcripts, please view the information below relevant to your branch of service:

NOTE 2: When applying for benefits, you will need to submit documentation such as DD 214 (Military Discharge Document) as well as NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility, for Chapter 1606)

NOTE 3: Each time you schedule, typically October or November & April of each year, you will need to complete the CALU VA Application for Enrollment

Continuing Students

For those students who are continuing their education from another semester, they can disregard steps 1-3 and 5. Every semester, continuing students need to follow the following steps.

  1. Enroll in classes through Vulcan Information Portal. It is important to note that your classes MUST follow the degree plan you have specified with the VA, i.e., Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts Curriculum.
  2. Request Veterans benefits by completing the Application for Enrollment form. This can be obtained by visiting the Office of Military & Veterans Affairs or contacting Mr. Robert Prah at (Application for enrollment forms are kept current on the home page of 
  3. A book stipend is only payable to Veterans receiving the Post 9/11 GI Bill®,
  4. For students receiving benefits under the Chapters 30 and 1606 program, verification is required by visiting the WAVE site or calling 1-888-442-4551 the last day of each month.

Transfer Students

For students who are changing their major, degree program or transferring from another institution, they are required to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Veterans & Reservists) or VA Form 22-5495 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA). These forms are available in the Office of Military & Veterans Affairs or by emailing Mr. Robert Prah at

Requesting Tuition Assistance?

If you are using Military Tuition Assistance, please contact the Global Online Department at or by visiting:

The Cal U Office of Military & Veterans Affairs processing VA Education benefits and the Global Online department processes Tuition Assistance.