California University of Pennsylvania Statement of Service:
California University of Pennsylvania (CALU) is honored to serve members of our Armed Forces, Reserve & National Guard, Veterans, and Dependents.
As part of our mission to provide the best service to our military family, CALU is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) Consortium of Schools. Also, our staff are members of the National Association of Veteran's Program Administrators(NAVPA) and Council of College and Military Educators (CCME). Furthermore, CALU participates in the United States Army's GoArmyEd program for active duty Army Soldiers as well as Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers.
Our Office of Academic Success, Office of Articulation and Transfer Evaluation, Office for Students with Disabilities, Global Online Armed Forces and Veterans Affairs staff offer a wide variety of services and resources to help you succeed. In addition, our Career Services, Mentoring Program and also Student Affairs provide additional programs while you are a student at Cal U and also when you graduate.
The CALU Office of Veterans Affairs has been serving members of our Armed Forces, Reserve & National Guard, Veterans, and Dependents for more than 40 years. Our faculty and staff are here to support and serve you as your pursue your higher education at CALU. Potential or current students who wish to speak to the Office of Veterans Affairs may do so by calling (724) 938-4076 or e-mail email@example.com.
Students at California University Main Campus, Southpointe and Global Online have several steps to take in order to apply for and use Veterans education benefits. The steps are different based on first-time students or transfer students (including students pursuing graduate degrees after earning an undergraduate degree).
For new students and those who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education, below are the steps to follow - this includes the necessary steps to enroll at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Apply for Admission to California University of Pennsylvania
- Register and complete the academic placement tests, if needed
- Transfer credits from other colleges and request military transcripts - See Note 1 below with websites for each branch of service
- Apply for Financial Aid by visiting
- Apply for the appropriate education benefit through the Department of Veterans Affairs by completing the VA Form 22-1990 (Veterans & Reservists, to include Post 9/11 transferability program) or VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA) - See Note 2 below with information and required documentation to provide for application
- Contact the Office of Veterans Affairs once you are approved for your education benefit by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org - You will be required to complete a one-time Responsibility Form as well as each semester the Cal U VA Application for Enrollment - See Note 3 below with tips and reminders for your benefits each semester to ensure timely payments
NOTE 1: In order to complete your admission packet, you will need to request your military transcript from your respective branch of service:
For information and processes on requesting military transcripts, please view the information below relevant to your branch of service:
- Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: (Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, and Veterans) https://jst.doded.mil/smart/signIn.do
- Air Force: http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp
NOTE 2: When applying for benefits, you will need to submit documentation such as DD 214 (Military Discharge Document) as well as NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility, for Chapter 1606)
NOTE 3: Each time you schedule, typically October or November & April of each year, you will need to complete the CALU VA Application for Enrollment
For those students who are continuing their education from another semester, they can disregard steps 1-3 and 5. Every semester, continuing students need to follow the following steps.
- Enroll in classes through Vulcan Information Portal. It is important to note that your classes MUST follow the degree plan you have specified with the VA, i.e., Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts Curriculum.
- Request Veterans benefits by completing the Application for Enrollment form. This can be obtained by visiting the Office of Veterans Affairs or contacting Robert Prah at email@example.com.
- A book stipend is only payable to Veterans receiving the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
- For students receiving benefits under the Chapters 30 and 1606 program, verification is required by visiting the WAVE site or calling 1-888-442-4551 the last day of each month.
For students who are changing their major, degree program or transferring from another institution, they are required to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Veterans & Reservists) or VA Form 22-5495 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA). These forms are available in the Office of Veterans Affairs or by emailing Robert Prah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Army National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance Changes -Effective October 2011
Guard Soldiers will be able to register for college courses or on-duty classes and review their student records 24x7. GoArmyEd links directly with schools to allow the Army to pay schools upfront, lifting that burden from Soldiers and ensuring that schools are paid in a timely manner, GoArmyEd enforces Army tuition assistance (TA) policy via logic throughout the portal, ensuring that registered classes are found on the Soldier’s degree plan, that no duplicate courses are taken, and that the Soldier maintains a GPA standard required by the Army to be eligible for TA. GoArmyEd also standardizes services at all Education Centers and supports the Army’s mobile Soldier base. Ready access to Soldier information allows counselors to help Soldiers wherever they are deployed.
How to Request TA and Enroll in a Class:
- TA Requests MUST be submitted before the class starts or no later than the final day of the school's late registration period.
- Depending on the school you attend, you will be presented with one of two enrollment paths. GoArmyEd will determine your path automatically and all approved TA will be paid directly to your school by the Army upon successful completion of class.
If your school uploads classes and tuition costs to GoArmyEd, you will be presented with the following process:
- Log in to www.GoArmyEd.com
- Select the "Request TA" Smart Link
- Confirm your school name is pre-populated and the class start date range is correct then select "Next"
- View class search results. Select the "Class Details' button before enrolling to view more class information (e.g., class description, SH cost, prerequisites, required class materials, etc.)
- Select "Request Class" for your desired class
- The confirm Classes screen displays class cost information. Be sure to review the cost covered by TA and any cost you must self-pay. Select "Process Enrollment" or "I Agree To Pay."
- **NOTE** IF TA DOES NOT COVER THE ENTIRE COST OF YOUR CLASS, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REMAINDER, WHICH WILL BE BILLED DIRECTLY BY THE SCHOOL
For more information on the Army National Guard GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance Program, refer to https://www.goarmyed.com/public/public_money_for_college-tuition_assistance.aspx