Students at California University Main Campus, Southpointe and Global Online have several steps to take in order to apply for and use Veterans education benefits. The steps are different based on first-time students or transfer students (including students pursuing graduate degrees after earning an undergraduate degree).
For new students and those who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education, below are the steps to follow - this includes the necessary steps to enroll at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Apply for Admission to California University of Pennsylvania - GO HERE
- Register and complete the academic placement tests, if needed - GO HERE for more information
- Transfer credits from other colleges and request military transcripts - See Note 1 below with websites for each branch of service
- Apply for Financial Aid by visiting THIS SITE
- Apply for the appropriate education benefit through the Department of Veterans Affairs by completing the VA Form 22-1990 (Veterans & Reservists, to include Post 9/11 transferability program) or VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA) - See Note 2 below with information and required documentation to provide for application
- Contact the Office of Veterans Affairs once you are approved for your education benefit by e-mailing: email@example.com - You will be required to complete a one-time Responsibility Form as well as each semester the Cal U VA Application for Enrollment - See Note 3 below with tips and reminders for your benefits each semester to ensure timely payments
NOTE 1: In order to complete your admission packet, you will need to request your military transcript from your respective branch of service:
NOTE 2: When applying for benefits, you will need to submit documentation such as DD 214 (Military Discharge Document) as well as NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility, for Chapter 1606)
NOTE 3: Each time you schedule, typically October or November & April of each year, you will need to complete the CALU VA Application for Enrollment
For those students who are continuing their education from another semester, they can disregard steps 1-3 and 5. Every semester, continuing students need to follow the following steps.
- Enroll in classes through Vulcan Information Portal. It is important to note that your classes MUST follow the degree plan you have specified with the VA, i.e., Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts Curriculum.
- Request Veterans benefits by completing the Application for Enrollment form. This can be obtained by visiting the Office of Veterans Affairs or contacting Robert Prah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A book stipend is only payable to Veterans receiving the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
- For students receiving benefits under the Chapters 30 and 1606 program, verification is required by visiting the WAVE site or calling 1-888-442-4551 the last day of each month.
For students who are changing their major, degree program or transferring from another institution, they are required to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Veterans & Reservists) or VA Form 22-5495 (Dependents eligible through Chapter 35, DEA). These forms are available in the Office of Veterans Affairs or by emailing Robert Prah at email@example.com.
ARMY NATIONAL GUARD FEDERAL TUITION ASSISTANCE CHANGES - EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 2011
Guard Soldiers will be able to register for college courses or on-duty classes and review their student records 24x7. GoArmyEd links directly with schools to allow the Army to pay schools upfront, lifting that burden from Soldiers and ensuring that schools are paid in a timely manner, GoArmyEd enforces Army tuition assistance (TA) policy via logic throughout the portal, ensuring that registered classes are found on the Soldier’s degree plan, that no duplicate courses are taken, and that the Soldier maintains a GPA standard required by the Army to be eligible for TA. GoArmyEd also standardizes services at all Education Centers and supports the Army’s mobile Soldier base. Ready access to Soldier information allows counselors to help Soldiers wherever they are deployed.
KEYS DATES TO REMEMBER: (Federal Tuition Assistance has been changed - The dates below are for reference purposes only)
6 June 2011 – Schools with historical ARNG enrollments set-up in GoArmyEd; ARNG Soldiers begin setting up accounts in GoArmyEd; after completing their account set-ups, ARNG Soldiers will be restricted from requesting TA in GoArmyEd until 1 August 2011.
1 August 2011 – ARNG Soldiers begin requesting TA in GoArmyEd for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011. ARNG Soldiers will continue to use the current National Guard system to request courses that start prior to 1 October 2011.
1 October 2011 – All ARNG Soldiers and Army education personnel begin using GoArmyEd to manage TA for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011; schools using GoArmyEd receive TA requests, process grades, and submit invoices for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011; the current National Guard system is used only for grade reporting, invoicing, and recoupment processing for courses that started prior to 1 October 2011.
Launch Pocket Reference Guide: https://www.goarmyed.com/docs/GAE_HipPocketGuide_Final.pdf
HOW TO REQUEST TA AND ENROLL IN A CLASS:
- TA Requests MUST be submitted before the class starts or no later than the final day of the school's late registration period.
- Depending on the school you attend, you will be presented with one of two enrollment paths. GoArmyEd will determine your path automatically and all approved TA will be paid directly to your school by the Army upon successful completion of class.
If your school uploads classes and tuition costs to GoArmyEd, you will be presented with the following process:
- Log in to www.GoArmyEd.com
- Select the "Request TA" Smart Link
- Confirm your school name is pre-populated and the class start date range is correct then select "Next"
- View class search results. Select the "Class Details' button before enrolling to view more class information (e.g., class description, SH cost, prerequisites, required class materials, etc.)
- Select "Request Class" for your desired class
- The confirm Classes screen displays class cost information. Be sure to review the cost covered by TA and any cost you must self-pay. Select "Process Enrollment" or "I Agree To Pay."
- **NOTE** IF TA DOES NOT COVER THE ENTIRE COST OF YOUR CLASS, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REMAINDER, WHICH WILL BE BILLED DIRECTLY BY THE SCHOOL
For more information on the Army National Guard GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance Program, refer to: https://www.education.ng.mil/rendercontent.aspx?ContentID=31 or https://www.goarmyed.com/public/public_money_for_college-tuition_assistance.aspx