Veterans Scholarship Opportunity
Post 9/11 Endowed Scholarship Fund Development
Members of the Cal U Veterans Club and staff from the Office of Veterans Affairs have developed a 3-year plan that will create a Post 9/11 Endowed Scholarship to help Veterans and Dependents at Cal U. Beginning February 2012 and ending no later than May 2015, Cal U Veterans Club members will raise at least $10,000 through donations and fundraising. Contact email@example.com for more information.
PSECU - Student Activity Scholarships
Applications are being accepted for the 2014-2015 PSECU Student Activity Scholarship. This scholarship is available to undergraduate and graduate students. Please CLICK HERE to download the pdf and apply.
Col. Arthur L. Bakewell Scholarship
Veterans studying at California University of Pennsylvania may be eligible for the Colonel Arthur L. Bakewell Veterans Scholarship. Established by the Veterans Club in 1983, the scholarship provides assistance to veterans at California University of Pennsylvania.
- Excerpt from Uniontown paper in July, 1983 - "The Veterans Club of California University of Pennsylvania is starting a scholarship fund in honor of Col. Arthur L. Bakewell, U.S. Army Retired and director of veterans affairs at the university. In order to qualify for this renewable award, a person must have completed 64 credits, be honorably discharged from a branch of the service, be a full-time student at the university, have a 2.75 quality point average and maintain it once the award is received. Bakewell and Vets Club officers will serve on the scholarship selection board. They hope to name the first recipient this fall. Bakewell received a bachelor's degree in industrial arts and masters degrees in industrial arts and counselor education from CU. He entered the U.S. Army in 1943 and served in Italy and Germany during World War II. In 1947 he was commissioned in the regular Army and served in many capacities in Korea, France, Germany, Vietnam and the New Jersey National Guard. He was senior army advisor to the Kentucky National Guard when discharged in 1970. In addition to being director of veterans affairs at CU, a position he has held since 1973, Bakewell is coordinator of services for handicapped students and is responsible for all matters affecting the university's international student program. He is a member of the faculty union APSCUF, Armored Association, Association of the U.S. Army, Retired Officers Association, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Contributions for the Arthur L. Bakewell Fund may be mailed directly to: Alumni Center, California University of Pennsylvania, California, Pa 15419."
At the end of each spring term, records are screened to determine those veterans who meet the GPA requirement. In late March, notices are sent via e-mail to urge all veterans to submit an application. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be honorably discharged from a branch of the active armed forces
- Be a full-time student at California University during the semester in which the applicant expects to receive the scholarship
- Have attended California University during the preceding semester
- Have at least 64 credits in the applicant's program as determined by school guidelines
- Have a 2.75 GPA and maintain the GPA once the award is received
The Director of the Office of Veterans Affairs and Veterans Club officers serve on the scholarship selection board. Contact Veterans Affairs for more information at (724) 938-4076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for the 2013 / 2014 Col. Bakewell Scholarship are current being accepted until April 3, 2014. Please CLICK HERE to download the pdf and apply.