Cal U Jazz Festival
Eight of the region’s top professional jazz bands will be on the program when California University of Pennsylvania hosts the all-new Cal U Jazz Festival.
Just one $10 ticket admits fans to three campus venues, where professional bands from Pittsburgh and the Mon Valley will perform. The popular Cal U Big Band and the Cal U Bebop Quintets also will take the stage.
Performances will be held in:
- Steele Hall Mainstage Theatre.
- Morgan Hall auditorium.
- Recital room 107, Gallagher Hall.
“We’ve arranged the schedule so fans can hear every band, if they choose,” says Dr. Charles “Marty” Sharer, director of bands at Cal U. “Where else can you enjoy a full day of great jazz music for just $10?
These performers are scheduled to appear:
- Noon-1 p.m. Cal U Big Band, Steele Hall Mainstage
- 1-2 p.m. Cal U "Trane" Bebop Quintet, Gallagher Hall, room 107
- 2-3 p.m. Balcony Big Band, Steele Hall Mainstage
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. Ken Karsh Trio, Morgan Hall auditorium
- 3-4 p.m. Cal U "Bird" Bebop Quintets, Gallagher Hall, room 107
- 4-5 p.m. Salsamba, Steele Hall Mainstage
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. Washington Jazz Society Big Band, Morgan Hall auditorium
- 5-6 p.m. Tom Roberts, Gallagher Hall, room 107
- 6-7 p.m. Paul Consentino & the Boilermaker Jazz Band, Steele Hall Mainstage
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. Mon Valley Jazz Orchestra, Morgan Hall auditorium
- 8-9 p.m. Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestra, Steele Hall Mainstage
Tickets will be available at Cal U on the day of the festival; no advance ticket sales are planned. Members of the campus community will be admitted free with a valid CalCard.
Parking is included in the ticket price, and food can be purchased on campus.
Less than an hour’s drive from Pittsburgh, California University is easy to reach via major highways and Toll Route 43.
Cal U Jazz Festival
Noon-9 p.m. May 4
California University of Pennsylvania
Tickets: $10 at the door
Visit the links below for videos and more infomration about the bands.