California University Buildings
Getting to Know the Buildings on Campus
Dixon Hall was built in 1907,and houses the Provost, Vice President for Administration and Finance, Graduate Office, Admissions, Academic Records, Bursar, Financial Aid, Comptroller, Purchasing, Grants, Payroll, Personnel, Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities Management, Mailroom, and Risk Management.
This building went through a renovation that was completed in June 2001.
This building was constructed in l939. Coover Hall houses the Department of Applied Engineering and Technology (AET) and part of the Art Department. Coover Hall has had several upgrades and more are on the way.
Built in 1868, this 142-year-old multi‑use building contains classroom space, the Chapel, the Grand Hall, and the offices of the President, Vice President for University Development, and Vice President for University Relations.
Eberly Hall, built in 1997, is a state-of-the-art facility that frames the left front entry to the California University campus. The structure is one of the most popular and effective instructional facilities at the University. Eberly Science and Technology Center houses the robotics, computer-aided design and high technology classes. As our Eberly College of Science and Technology grows, this building becomes even more important in our inventory of assets.
Built in l930 as a demonstration school, Noss Hall houses offices for the Associate Provost for Student Retention, computer laboratories, reading, writing and math labs. A renovation project was completed in 2006. The rejuvenated Noss Hall was returned to service in time for Spring 2007 classes. The renovation included a complete interior upgrade, central air-conditioning, improved heating system, environmental controls, new elevator, all new windows, and a rejuvenated exterior including a new roof, and exterior masonry restoration. The electrical and plumbing systems were upgraded. The building is much more energy efficient and a greater benefit to the students because of the renovation.
KARA ALUMNI HOUSE
KARA ALUMNI HOUSE
Kara Alumni House was completed in September 2002 and has been an exquisite addition to the campus. This gathering hall for alumni enhances the CalU for Life initiative and adds a wonderful place for university events.
Built in 1892, Watkins houses faculty offices, general classrooms, communications lab, and the University Telemarketing Facility. Watkins Hall was renovated in 1992. Watkins Hall is the home of the Business and Economics Department.
Constructed in 1876, this 134-year-old building has offices for the Department of Modern and Foreign Languages, University Development, Public Relations, Government Assistance Contracting Office, the President's residence, and the Mon Valley Renaissance.
Constructed in 1953, this 57-year-old structure received a renovation and a 17,000 square foot addition in 2007. The project resulted in a complete state-of-the-art educational facility.
Steele Hall now has central air conditioning, an elevator, high-tech theatrical classrooms, a new black box theater, and an auditorium with improved sightlines and wide comfortable seating.
Built in l892 as a gymnasium, Vulcan Hall received its first life-cycle renovation in its 118 year history in 2006. The renovation was completed in January 2007, and Vulcan was returned to service in 2007. This renovation project replaced the roof, downspouts, restored the exterior masonry, and upgraded all utility systems, added central air conditioning, and the building's first elevator. In addition to completely restoring Vulcan Hall, a new art gallery was added.
Built in 1959- Designed by Cozza and Slater Architects and Engineers the New Science just like its name sake it houses many of the science classes here at California University of Pennsylvania.
The New Science building houses the physics and chemistry departments.
Built in l964 with the natatorium added in 1965, Hamer Hall houses the Athletic and Health Science and Sport Studies Departments.
Constructed in l966, this 44-year-old structure houses the current technical programs. The Dean of the Eberly College of Science and Technology has expressed a desire to expand this facility to meet future programs.
The entire Gallagher Hall built in 1969 was converted from auxiliary to E & G use space, most going to the Music Department with a large reconfiguration and renovation completed in 2001. In 2005, Dining Room D and administrative space was converted to instructional space for the newly created Professional Golf Management (PGM) Program.
MAINTENANCE ANNEX A
MAINTENANCE ANNEX A
Built in 1899, this building was the original Stem house on campus. It now houses the Paint Shop on the top floor and is a major utilities node serving Old Main, South Hall, Dixon Hall, and Vulcan Hall.
Built in 1928, originally as a laundry, this one (1) story building was converted to the Ceramics Lab in 1999.
Built in 1970, the building is home for the English and Justice Studies Departments, Office for Students with Disabilities, Veterans Affairs, Sociology, Social Work, Master's in Social Work, Faculty Professional Development Center, Women's Center, and the Campus Telephone/Copy Center.
Frich Hall built in 1967 is primarily a biological science teaching facility, but also provides teaching space for the Art Department and Criminal Justice.
Built in 1970, this 40 year-old structure houses the automotive shop, the Department of Public Safety, the University storeroom, and the carpenter shop.
Built in l973, the structure is the home of the College of Education and Human Services.
Built in 1973, Morgan Hall, also known as the Learning Resource Center houses the communication studies programs and the nursing program.
In addition to the Library, Manderino houses the University's Computing Systems, History and Political Science, and Academic Development Services Departments as well as the Office of Web-Based Programs. Built in l978, Manderino Library is the largest structure on campus.
Built in l97l, the structure underwent a major renovation in 1998. This project updated the facility locker rooms, bleachers, and press box. The football field received artificial turf in 2006. A wave cam and a jumbo-Tron were added to Adamson Stadium early in 2009. This addition adds innovative technology to the sports recruiting program.
Booker Observation Towers
BOOKER OBSERVATION TOWERS
Two observation towers were constructed as part of the new Duda Hall project and added to the University inventory in 2007.
Herron Hall was constructed in 1932 and architecturally is one of the most beautiful buildings on campus. The project to renovate and upgrade Herron Hall began in spring 2008 and was ready for use in the fall of 2009. This renovation project was a complete success supplying two (2) recreational gymnasiums, an indoor lap pool, a climbing wall, two (2) racquet ball courts, an indoor track, the Sycamore Lounge and a host of other exercise equipment to the students for recreational use.
The Convocation Center is the newest building at CALU. With a removable competition wood floor and seating for nearly 6000 fans, this arena is a state of the art facility for school and community use. It was finished in December of 2011 and is the largest building on campus. The first major event boasted a star studded event with Kenny Rodgers as the headliner. In this arena there is One Main Center Court that can easily be seen and enjoyed from every seat in the house and when there is not a big game it can be fitted with Three practice courts for both Basketball and Volleyball. Not only is this a great venue for a game or sports camp but with the floor removed the Convocation Center at CALU is the perfect venue for your home or car show.
PHILIPSBURG SCHOOL SOCCER COMPLEX
A new Philipsburg Soccer Complex was completed in 2011 on the site of the former Booster Field at the Philipsburg School. This Premier Facility sports
an artificial turf field with locker rooms for the men, women, and visiting teams. Also, there is seating for over 500 fans, a concession stand and public restrooms.
The former Philipsburg School has been purchased for the purpose of future expansion. This project is currently under design.
Take a Tour of Campus
Click on the buildings' name to the left for the chance to tour one of the most beautiful universities in the eastern United States.
With its historic structures and beautiful landscaping, Cal U may remind you of an Ivy League school. Dedicated Facilities Management teams diligently maintain the buildings and grounds, creating what the University Mission Statement calls “a campus of natural and architectural beauty.”