IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
FOR ALL STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF
(first issued 10/05/2012)
As the school year begins, the California University Police Department is asking all students to stay vigilant and take commonsense steps to protect their belongings and themselves.
Each year the Cal U and California Borough police departments receive reports of missing property or unauthorized entries into student apartments. This year is no different. Currently, borough police have a handful of reports that indicate apartments or homes may have been entered and property taken. On many occasions, investigations have found that residents left their belongings unattended in public places or left doors and windows unlocked or even open.
Borough police also are investigating an allegation of an assault this past weekend. They are continuing their investigation and will provide information when they can do so without compromising its progress.
To keep yourself and your possessions safe, please remember to:
- Stay alert. Keep your possessions with you or under your watchful eye.
- Protect your University home by locking your doors and closing and locking your windows.
- Know who you are inviting into your University home. Be wary of inviting strangers, or people you’ve just met, into your living space.
- Keep your valuables, including jewelry, cash and high-end technology, out of sight, and preferably in a locked container.
- Lock your car when it is parked on or off campus. Do not keep valuables such as books, computers or smart-phones where they are visible; instead lock them in the trunk or take them with you.
- Never leave your belongings on the ground or in an unlocked locker while participating in events. It takes just a moment for something to be stolen.
- Always travel in pairs or groups, especially after dark. Statistics reveal that people in groups of two or more are much less likely to be victimized.
- Never drink and drive.
- Keep your cell-phone with you, and call police IMMEDIATELY if you need help or find yourself in an uncomfortable situation. To reach University police, call 724-938-HELP (724-938-4357) or dial 911.
If you are the victim of a crime, or if you see suspicious activity on or off campus, CALL THE POLICE immediately. Don’t wait. We are here to help you, and we will respond right away. We can be more helpful if we are notified quickly.
California University has made a commitment to the safety and security of our students, staff, faculty and visitors. When serious issues arise that could affect your safety, we will communicate the known facts immediately.
Our Cal U Police Department will be increasing its patrols during Homecoming Week. We will be out in full force to ensure your safety. Please do not hesitate to call us!