Faculty And Staff - Career Services Resources
How Career Services Can Assist Your Department And Students
Using the Career Advantage Program as a framework, we work with prospective students, current students and alumni to help them discover their interests, skills and values, choose a major, explore career options, gain experience through job shadowing and Co-op, and prepare for life and career transitions after CALU, including help with resumés and cover letters, portfolios, interviewing, job search strategies and graduate school preparation.
- Resources are available to assist your students in identifying their interests, skills and values and exploring related career options.
- A list of career options with links to employers hiring specific majors, helpful career and job search resources, and success stories of Cal U graduates. See where your graduates have gone in our graduate survey (5 Year Report).
- A network of alumni and employers who have offered to share their career experiences with students and alumni giving students the opportunity to talk with and job shadow someone who is working in a career that interests them.
Hire CalYOU (coming July 15,2013)
- Hire CalYOU is an online, one-stop career portal for Cal U students, alumni and employers. Students and alumni can access and manage all of these career tools in one convenient location. Post your GA positions (can be posted for Cal U students only), and encourage your students to post their resumes for internships, co-op and full-time positions.
- Paid, career-related experience for undergraduates and graduates students of all majors. Students can participate as early as their sophomore year! This is a no-credit bearing program for current students.
- Career Services offers a one to five day job shadow experience open to all students. The intent of the program is to give students the opportunity to explore career fields and gain a realistic view of a typical day on the job.
- Don't cancel that class! Career Services can present a variety of workshops tailored to your class or group. Just complete our online request form. We will try to accommodate all requests, but please give at least 2 weeks notice to ensure presenter availability.
- Topics include:
How Your Department Can Assist Career Services
Help students connect with Career Services by encouraging them to utilize our resources and participate in career events beginning freshman year!
- Our Career Advantage Program decision tree can be helpful when you are providing academic advising to your students. You can assist students in identifying where they are in the career development process.
Incorporate career-related assignments in your classes that will help your students to develop the skills employers seek, including:
- Focus - an online career information system to assist your students in identifying their interests, skills and values and exploring related career options (we can review Focus results individually with your students)
- informational interviewing and job shadowing with employers or alumni in careers of interest (encourage your students to tap into our CALU Career Network)
- resume writing (we can provide a resume review for your students)
- interviewing (we can provide tailored, individualized mock interviews for your students)
- networking and job fairs (Check out our upcoming events such as the Mock Networking Reception and Etiquette Dinner, and encourage your students to participate!)
- Join the Career Advantage Program (CAP) Advisory Board, or become a CAP faculty contact for your department! You will stay on top of career information related to your department, and fulfill community service requirements for tenure promotion!
- Share success stories of your graduates! We will post them on our What Can I Do with a Major in... web site for parents, prospective students and current students to see.
How Career Services Can Assist Your Career Development
All of the resources and events provided through Career Services and on-line are available to you.
- Career Advantage Program Decision Tree
- Career Advantage Program Video
- Hire CalYOU (coming July 15)
- Request a Career Services Presentation
- Job Fairs and Career Events
- Graduate Survey (5 Year Report)
- Resume Tips and Resources for Students
- Skills Employers Seek
Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.