Cal U Parent and Family E-News: November 2011
The Push is On
In November, students begin to experience the end-of-the-semester push. he finish line is in sight; they are looking forward to Thanksgiving and holiday breaks, but the race isn't over yet! There is still much left to do - finishing papers, staying ahead (or catching up) on mounds of reading, and final exams are looming.....With feet firmly planted in this semester, they are alos expected to plan their academic steps for the next one.
Staying the Course or Making an Adjustment
After checking midterm grades, if your student is doing well, encourage him/her to stay the course, relying on previous successes with study and organizational skills and good time management. If your student is not doing well, there’s still time for a course adjustment; encourage your student to get back on track by meeting with a professor and seeking tutoring or other academic assistance.
Academic Resources: http://www.calu.edu/current-students/academic-resources/index.htm
Spring 2012 Registration
Current students will begin registering for next semester’s classes on November14-18. It is an online registration, accessible through the student VIP (Vulcan Information Portal). Spring 2012 classes begin on Monday, January 23. Here are a few registration tips:
- Students should pick up and an advisement sheet for their major, available in the Scheduling Center in Noss 210 or in the respective academic departments.
- Students should schedule an appointment with their faculty advisor (much like they would for a doctor’s visit) to discuss academic options and a course plan. Advisor information is found under the “Academic Info” tab in VIP. If not listed, a student should visit his academic department to inquire.
- Students should check VIP under the “Academic Info” tab to be sure no holds exist on their student accounts. A hold may be placed on a student’s account for a variety of reasons, including past due payments, fees, fines, and advisement. A hold prevents a student from registering and can be detrimental in getting the needed classes. Note: A hold can only be released through the office that imposed it.
- Students should check their Registration Status early. Registration Status is found under “Registration Tools” located under the Academic Info tab in VIP. Among the important information found there, students should verify their assigned day of registration.
- Registration begins promptly at 7:00 AM on the day your student has permission to register. Students should have a list of courses and their accompanying 5-digit CRN (course numbers).
More about developing a course schedule: http://www.collegeparents.org/members/resources/articles/what-should-my-college-student-consider-when-choosing-schedule-classes
Staying healthy is a lot about balance, and sometimes that is not easy for college students. With flu season ramping up, loving reminders to eat well, sleep enough, and get regular exercise, may go far in keeping your student physically and emotionally healthy.
Student Health Center link: http://www.calu.edu/current-students/health-services/student-health-center/index.htm
Counseling Center link: http://www.calu.edu/current-students/health-services/counseling/index.htm
Thinking of You
Continue to support your student’s efforts by reminding him/her that you are aware that they are working hard, and you are proud of them. And in spite of all the new technological advances, students do enjoy receiving “snail mail”. There is still something special about opening a campus mailbox and reading a handwritten note or humorous card from home.
Fresh From Home package: http://www.calu.edu/current-students/housing/files/fresh%20from%20home%20online%20package.pdf
Making Transportation/Travel Plans
If you have not already done so, now is the time to make Thanksgiving and end-of-semester travels plans. Students may use their CalCards to ride the MMVTA at no cost from campus to major Pittsburgh transportation hubs including Pittsburgh International Airport, the Greyhound bus station, Pittsburgh Amtrak train station, and the MegaBus pickup location at the David Lawrence Convention Center.
It’s Nothing Personal
Do not be overly concerned if your student is not answering your phone calls, texts, or emails as quickly. Remember that academic demands are increasing and the pace will not let up until semester’s end. It could very well be that your student is just busy “taking care of academic business.”
A Message from Parent & Alumni Relations
Are You a Legacy?
The University has a rich history of generations of families who have shared the Cal U experience. Legacy families are those that have a parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt who have graduated from Cal U. Are you a part of Cal U history? Are you a legacy? If so, be recognized for your Cal U family tradition.
Mark Your Calendars for Cal U Hockey Night in Pittsburgh
Join Cal U students, alumni, friends, and families to watch the Cal U Men’s 1 Hockey Team take on the Robert Morris University Colonials, on Tuesday, December 6th 8:00p.m. at the CONSOL Energy Center. Pre-game activities consist of a networking gathering from 5p.m.-7p.m. in the Cal U Conference Room and an open skate from 7-7:30p.m., prior to the start of the game. For more information or to RSVP, contact the Office of Alumni Relations & Annual Fund at 724-938-4418 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Upcoming Dates
|Last Day to Withdraw From a Course or the University||November 4|
|Registration for Spring 2012||November 14-18|
|Thanksgiving Break (No Classes)||November 23-25|
|Classes End||December 9|
|Reading Day (No classes 8 am - 4 pm)||December 12|
|Final Exam Week (Starting 6 pm on December 12)||December 12 - 16|
|Semester Ends||December 17|
|Undergraduate Commencement (10:00 am)||December 17|
|Registration dor 2012 Summer College Begins||January 16|
|Spring 2012 Semester Begins||January 23|