Site Search

Frequently Asked Questions for Cal U students

Students and their families may have questions about California University’s operations during the strike by the faculty union. 

We will continue to update and expand this page as the two sides work to reach a settlement.

If your questions are not addressed here, please email strikeinfo@calu.edu or call the Information Hotline at 724-938-5600 for more information. The hotline is open from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Media representatives should call Christine Kindl, associate vice president for Communications and Public Relations, at 724-938-5492.


1. Is Cal U still open?

Is Cal U still open during the strike?

Yes. As much as possible, the University's intends to conduct business as usual. Faculty members are not required to participate in the strike. And except for striking faculty, all employees are expected to be at work. 

2. Should students report to class?

Should students report to class?

Yes. Students are expected to attend each and every scheduled class. If a professor or substitute does not arrive for an on-campus class within 10-15 minutes of the scheduled start time, students are free to depart.

Students should log in every day to see whether their online classes are being held.

There are many opportunities for independent learning, even when classes do not meet, so students are encouraged to focus on their studies. 

3. How long will the strike last?

How long will the strike last?

The faculty union will determine when the strike is over. The State System of Higher Education is continuing to negotiate with the union (APSCUF), and the University is hopeful that the strike will end soon.

4. Will the semester end on schedule?

Will the semester end on schedule? Will graduation be delayed?

Once we see how long the strike lasts, University administrators will make decisions about whether to adjust class schedules or extend the semester so credits can be awarded. 

The University’s goal is to keep students on track academically with the least disruption possible. Students should remain enrolled and take advantage of every opportunity to use their time productively until classes resume.

5. How will the strike affect financial aid?

How will the strike affect my financial aid?

If a student remains enrolled and completes the semester, we anticipate there will be no financial aid or billing issues. But because every student’s situation is different, the Financial Aid Office will work with individual students to assess their financial aid status. 

Many questions can’t be answered until we see how long the strike continues, and what arrangements will be made for students to complete their classes.

6. Will Cal U facilities remain open?

Will California University facilities, be open in the event of a strike? Will the California University Police Department remain on duty?

Yes. To the extent practical, these offices will be open:

  • Manderino Library
  • Computer labs
  • Dining services, including Gold Rush Dining Hall
  • University housing (residence halls and Vulcan Village)
  • Herron Recreation & Fitness Center
  • Wellness Center,
  • Registrar’s office
  • Financial Aid
  • Bookstore
  • Other administrative offices
  • California University Police Department

All employees represented by unions other than APSCUF are required to work in the event of a strike by faculty.

Information about extended/altered hours for services and facilities that are especially important to students, as well as other special events (films, lectures, etc.) for the Cal U community, will be posted on the University website as information is received. Please check the homepage and read the Daily Announcements for updates.

7. Will I have access to D2L?

Will I have access to the D2L system during the strike?

Yes, students will have access to D2L.

If you cannot access the system, please email CJ DeJuliis at dejuliis_cj@calu.edu.

8. Should work-study students report to work?

Should students with on-campus work-study jobs continue to report for work?

Yes. Students with on-campus work-study jobs should report to work as scheduled. If a student works for a faculty member who is participating in the strike, the student should report to the dean’s office:

    — College of Education & Human Services            Dean Kevin Koury, Keystone 200B

    — College of Liberal Arts                                         Dean Mohammed Yamba, Duda 114

    — Eberly College of Science & Technology            Dean John Kallis, Eberly 330

    — School of Graduate Studies & Research              Dean Stan Komacek, Dixon 318

9. Will my internship be affected? What about student teaching?

Will my internship or a practicum be affected by the strike?

Students in certain departments (social work and counseling, for example) will receive special information. Other students should report to their internship sites as usual.

Student teachers also should report to their assigned sites. 

For questions or assistance with internships, contact the Career & Professional Development Center at 724-938-4413.

10. Are counseling and health care services still available?

Will counseling and health care services still be available for students?

The Wellness Center will remain open. See Wellness Center hours 

The Counseling Center will remain open. Some counseling professionals who are members of the faculty union may be unavailable, but students will be referred to Southwest PA Health Services if emergency/crisis care is needed. About the Counseling Center

11. Will extracurricular activities be held?

What about extracurricular activities that are sponsored by the University? Are they going on as scheduled?

Yes, most student activities will continue, including Homecoming events. Check the Daily Announcements and watch for information at www.calu.edu.

12. Where can I get more information?

Where can students and their families find more information?

The website for Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education at www.passhe.edu is being updated regularly with information regarding the status of negotiations.

California University has set up a special email account to answer questions that are not covered here or in the FAQs and updates posted online. Send email to strikeinfo@calu.edu and we will respond as promptly as possible.

Cal U also has an Information Hotline, 724-938-5600, to help answer your questions. The hotline is open from 8:30 am.-4 p.m., Monday through Friday, and voicemail is available.