Frequently Asked Questions About Transferring To Cal U

Site Search

Image of a female student standing next to a buildingImage of a female student standing next to a building

Frequently Asked Questions

photo of student in classroomHow do I transfer?

  • Submit a completed application form

  • Send in a $25 application fee

  • Mail an official high school transcript, which includes class rank or GED certificate and scores. (This requirement may be waived for students with an associate degree.)

  • Send SAT or American College Test (ACT) scores. (This requirement may be waived for applicants who have been out of high school for at least two years or have an associate, RN or baccalaureate degree.)

  • Submit all official college transcripts. 

How do I apply for financial aid?

  • When completing the Cal U application form, check "yes" in answer to the question, "Do you wish to apply for financial aid?"

  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA), available online at, or from your local bank, public library, guidance counselor or Financial Aid Office.

  • Once you have been accepted and your financial information has been reviewed, the University's Financial Aid Office will mail you an award letter detailing your financial aid package.

  • For more information, call the Financial Aid Office at 724-938-4404.

I didn't do so well at my last school. Is my GPA too low to transfer?

Entrance criteria are determined by the Admissions Office. Call 724-938-4404 to discuss your personal situation.

Will my classes transfer?

The majority of your classes will transfer. Developmental courses do not transfer. Examples of developmental courses are basic math and English.

How many credits can I transfer?

Cal U does not set a maximum number of transferable credits.  Students must complete at least 30 of the last 45 credits from Cal U.  In addition, students must complete at least 50% of the major coursework within their department from Cal U.

Do "D" grades transfer?

Courses in which you earned a "D" grade will transfer if you have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 at the institution you attended.

Do my grades transfer?

Credits transfer; grades do not.

Will credits from a proprietary school, such as an occupational, technical or vocational school, transfer?

Technical courses may transfer into particular programs. Credits are evaluated based on total classroom hours and course content. Several of your courses may be combined to equal one Cal U course. Students seeking credit for technical courses are urged to contact the University to determine the specifics for each degree program.

Can I transfer credits earned in the military?

If you are an honorably discharged veteran, you may be able to transfer credits from military school or training. The University's Office of Veterans Affairs can assist you in obtaining the necessary transcripts for evaluation.

How are my transfer credits applied?

Transfer credits are applied first to Cal U's general education requirement, then to major requirements and lastly to electives.

What is the Academic Passport?

The Academic Passport is a transfer program designed to promote and facilitate the transfer of students attending Pennsylvania community colleges to universities within the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. It also supports the transfer of undergraduate credits earned by state system students to other system universities.

How do I submit an official college transcript?

You must contact your previous college/university and request they mail an official copy of your transcript directly to Cal U.  An official transcript gets mailed from school to school. 

I am a student with disabilities. Do you have an office to assist me?

Yes. You may reach California University of Pennsylvania's Office of Students with Disabilities at 724-938-9153. They'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

How do I get to Cal U?

Contact the Welcome Center at 1-888-412-0479, or click here for a map and directions.

Have other questions about transferring?

Contact us by e-mail or call 724-938-5939.