Summer and Winter College

Site Search

Summer and Winter College

If you have enrolled in classes at Cal U for Winter or Summer College, be sure to read the appropriate information below regarding your financial aid awards.

Financial Aid for Summer and Winter College

Summer College Financial Aid

Students who apply for summer financial aid will begin to receive financial aid award notifications in late March. PELL grant recipients with pending summer financial aid refunds can charge books at the University Bookstore until noon of June 7, 2017 up to the amount of their credit balances not to exceed $500 for the term.

If you would like to be eligible for federal, state and institutional financial aid assistance for the 2017 summer sessions, you must complete a 2017-2018 FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

The results of your FAFSA will determine if you qualify for a Federal Pell Grant, Pennsylvania State GrantFederal Work StudyFederal Stafford Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, or Private Alternative Loans.

Please note:

  • Any student enrolled at least half time for summer and who has completed a FAFSA will automatically be awarded Federal Stafford Loans for the summer, fall, and spring semesters. For example, if you have a Federal Stafford Loan and your maximum eligibility is $3,500 for the year; your loan will be divided 33% for each summer and fall, and 34% spring, leaving you with $1,155 for summer, $1,155 for fall, and $1,190 for spring. If you do not want your summer loans or require an adjustment, please complete the Student Loan Adjustment Form prior to disbursement.
  • If you are enrolled less than half time for summer, your loans will still be packaged for the summer, fall, and spring semesters. If you do not register for enough classes by the time classes begin, your loans will be adjusted.

If you are awarded a Federal Pell Grant, this award is based on credits enrolled and will reduce the amount of your fall and spring awards. For example, if you have a Federal Pell Grant and you are enrolled full time for summer, fall and spring you will receive a full time Federal Pell Grant for summer, a full-time Pell award for fall, and no Federal Pell Grant for spring because you exhausted your eligibility during the summer and fall.

A completed 2017 Pennsylvania Summer State Grant Application must be submitted to State Grant and Special Programs of PHEAA no later than Aug. 15, if you would like to apply for the Pennsylvania State Grant during the summer term.

If you are seeking summer work study employment, you must meet all federal Title IV eligibility requirements.


Winter College Financial Aid

Students enrolled for the winter term may be eligible for financial aid to help with those expenses. All students enrolling for winter term will receive an increase in their Cost of Attendance, which may result in increased aid eligibility for grants and/or loans.

Financial aid for the winter term can be applied in one of two ways. First, for students graduating at the end of the winter term, your winter term credits will be combined with your fall term credits and an additional fall disbursement of financial aid, if necessary, will be made in late December. Second, if you are not graduating at the conclusion of the winter term or are beginning your academic program in winter, your winter credits will be combined with your spring term credits.

Those credits will be evaluated and if aid adjustments are needed, they will occur with the spring term disbursement. In many cases, students already enrolled full time in either fall or spring, may only be eligible to borrow additional funds through alternative loans to help with winter term expenses.

Students with Pell and/or PHEAA grants that are enrolled full time in either fall or spring semester will not see a change in those awards. However, if the addition of your winter term credits increases your eligibility for Pell/PHEAA, those adjustments will be made accordingly. Evaluation of students enrolled for winter will begin in November.

Winter term billing students will receive a separate bill for the winter term. However, if they have financial aid scheduled for spring term that is sufficient to cover both winter and spring term charges, there will be no balance due for winter.

There will be no penalties for the winter bill not being paid until the spring financial aid disburses. However, students must have completed everything needed for aid to disburse on time and have enough aid to cover their charges to avoid any delays or late fees.

There will be detailed information about winter term financial aid and billing included with winter billing statements. Students will need to contact the Student Accounts Office (formerly the Bursar's Office) to get cost estimates for their winter classes.

Winter Term and SAP

In the event that you are on an academic plan for the fall semester and/or may not meet satisfactory academic progress at the end of the fall term, we may not have a winter/spring award available for you before you start your winter term classes.

Because the winter classes begin so close to the end of the fall term we will need time between the terms to determine if you have met satisfactory academic progress or not and will or will not be eligible for winter/spring financial aid. If you suspect that you may not meet academic progress at the end of the fall term please contact the Financial Aid Office and we can review your progress.

Here is the link to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy from our website.