Work Study | Federal Work Study Program, FAFSA Financial Aid

Site Search

Work Study Work Study


Are you willing to work to help pay for your education? The Work-Study Program at California University of Pennsylvania might be a good resource for you. Work-study is a type of financial aid that allows you to earn money to assist with education expenses, gain valuable work experience and work with faculty, staff and community members.

Who is Eligible for Work-Study Employment?

Work-study is available to on-campus undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's degree or professional degree. There are two separate work-study programs: federal, which is awarded only to students who demonstrate financial need, and institutional, which is available to all students regardless of need. In order to qualify for work-study employment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • File a FAFSA and indicate on question 31 that you are interested in work-study or both work-study and student loans.
  • Make satisfactory academic progress.
  • Be enrolled at Cal U least half time.

Once the FAFSA has been reviewed and you are found eligible, you will receive a work-study eligibility award on your financial aid award notice. If you did not indicate your interest in work-study on the FAFSA, you can complete a Work-Study Request Form to be considered for employment. 

Work-Study (Undergraduate On Campus)

Student Work-Study Procedures

If work-study has been included as a part of your financial aid package from California University of Pennsylvania and you are interested in participating in this program, carefully review the information below. It will give you valuable information about how to find employment and on hiring procedures and payroll policies. If you are not interested in participating, simply ignore this information. Even if you are eligible for work-study employment, you are not required to participate in the Work-Study Program.

Step 1. How do you find a work-study job?

Various departments on campus post work-study job openings at the beginning of each semester. You are responsible for obtaining your own position by applying in person to the individual departments that have openings. The Financial Aid Office does not guarantee employment or place students in positions. Check the work-study Employment Postings to see what positions are available for the fall semester. We recommend you check the postings daily to see if new jobs have been added to the list.

Generally, positions on-campus allow students to work a maximum of eight hours per week at the prevailing minimum wage. Due to limited funding, not all students who are eligible for work-study will be hired.

Step 2. What is the hiring process?

  • Make an appointment with the department supervisor and interview for the positing.
  • Provide the supervisor with a copy of your Financial Aid Award to verify that you have been awarded work- study. You can print this information from the Vulcan Information Portal.
  • The department supervisor will complete your work-study employment hiring card.
  • Complete the state work-study application provided by your department supervisor.
  • Bring both the completed hiring card and state work-study application to the Financial Aid Office, located on the first floor of Dixon Hall.

Departments have the discretion to hire students who they believe best meet the needs of the job.

Step 3. How do you get paid?

Work-study is NOT automatically applied toward your charges for the academic year. That means your tuition bill will not reflect any money you receive from your work-study job. Instead, you will receive a paycheck that can be used to offset your educational expenses.

If you are participating in the Work-Study Program for the first time, you must:

  • Complete all necessary Payroll Forms
  • Take your completed forms to the Payroll Office (fourth floor, Dixon Hall) immediately to prevent any delay in your employment.
  • Once all paperwork is completed, you will receive a work-study approval slip from either the Financial Aid Office or the Payroll Office before you can begin working. You must take the approval form back to your department supervisor as proof that you have completed the process.

IMPORTANT: You may not begin working until all the steps above have been properly completed. Failure to do so may result in the termination of your employment.

If you have any questions regarding the Work-Study Program, contact the Financial Aid Office at 724-938-4415.

Employment Postings

Work Study Employment Postings

Check the work-study Employment Postings to see what positions are available for the fall semester. We recommend you check the postings daily to see if new jobs have been added to the list.

Payroll Forms

Office of Payroll Services

The Office of Payroll Services is responsible for processing the University payroll, ensuring timely and accurate payments to our employees and students. The office ensures that payments are made in compliance with state, local and federal tax guidelines, contract agreements and University policies.

The office is located in Room 415, Dixon Hall.

Hours are 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Contact the Office

About staff payroll: 724-938-4426

About student payroll: 724-938-5947

By fax: 724-938-4349

Contact the Staff           

James P. Ahearn

Director of Payroll Services

Dixon Hall, Room 415


Patricia A. Luce-Show

Fiscal Technician, Faculty/Staff Payroll

Dixon Hall, Room 415


Grad and Undergrad Student Payroll

Mandatory Instructions to Read

Student New Hire Forms

Form I-9 Instructions

REV-420 For Residents of MD, OH, WV, NJ, IN, & VA only

Staff/Faculty Payroll

Staff New Hire Forms

Faculty New Hire Forms

Other Forms

Individual Expense Form

Change of address

Pay option

Timekeeper Pay Processing Schedule

Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)

REV-420 (Non-PA Residents)

Employee Compensation Form

ESS Instructions

Updating Contact Information

Updating Direct Deposit Info

W4 Changes via ESS

Viewing Online Pay Statements

Electronic W2 Election

Displaying W2 via ESS

Work-Study Termination Form for Coordinators Only

Student Work-Study Termination Form

California University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Financial Aid Office reaffirms the University's commitment to the policy that there shall be no discrimination against any individual in educational or employment opportunities because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, or disability. Also, there shall be no discrimination because of age except in compliance with requirements of retirement plans or state and federal laws and guidelines.

Get Adobe Reader

Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.

Adboe Reader