Complaint Process

Site Search

Complaint Process for StudentsComplaint Process for Students

Complaint Process for Students

Grade Appeals:

Students who wish to appeal a grade or other academic decision related to a particular course should first refer to the policy on Appealing a Grade or Other Academic Decision on the Academic Policies website: and follow the process detailed therein.

Please note that grievances, complaints, or concerns submitted via this process with regard to a particular course, program or department may be forwarded and discussed with the faculty member, department chair, or academic dean for resolution. 

Other Types of Complaints:

In compliance with U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) rules, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

California University of Pennsylvania desires to resolve prospective and current student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. Students having complaints not related to grades or academic decisions should first follow the same process as outlined in the Grade Appeals policy. If a Global Online student is unable to resolve the issue through this procedure, a complaint may be filed with the Global Online Office using the Global Online Complaint Form.  

If the student believes that the issue was not resolved by the university, the student may file a complaint with the State System of Higher Education's Office of the Chancellor. All complaints must be submitted by the student using the System's official complaint form, available at The completed form must be signed by the student and mailed or emailed to Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education, Academic and Student Affairs Division, Office of the Chancellor, 2986 North Second Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110; 717-720-4200; The complaint must identify specific fundamental elaments, policies, or procedures that have been allegedly violated. The complainant should identify all steps already taken to resolve the complaint within the process provided for by the university. Complaints may be assigned to a staff member for substantive review. The State System recognizes the importance of resolution of complaints as promptly as is feasible, consistent with fairness to the complainant and the university. To the extent possible, all complaints will be held confidential between the student and the State System. However, the Office of the Chancellor cannot proceed with its review unless the university is permitted to see the complaint and to respond to specific charges.

If a student believes that the issue cannot be resolved by the Office of the Chancellor, a complaint may be filed with the university's accreditor, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 267-284-5000,

Students located outside of Pennsylvania while attending the university may also choose to contact the appropriate higher education entity in their home state. Complaint agencies for each state are listed below.

For more information or questions related to this process, please contact Pamela Murphy, Director of Regulatory Compliance,, or by phone at 724-938-5430.

California University of Pennsylvania is a member of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education and accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

If you would like more information about Cal U Global Online, complete an online request or contact the Global Online Office at 724-938-5958 or toll-free at 1-866-595-6348, or e-mail us at

Complaint Processes By State



Complaints for out-of-state institutions are referred to the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (ADPE) for response. Please see the ADPE link below. For in-state institutions, contacts are posted to the ACHE website at


The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE) processes complaints alleging violations of state institutional authorization law relative to postsecondary institutions or programs in Alaska. The complaint investigation process is described in AS 14.48.130 and 20 AAC 17.130-145. Students are encouraged to pursue the complaint process at their institutions prior to contacting ACPE. To request a complaint form, please send an email to For questions or assistance relative to complaints please contact: Jo Anne Hayden, Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization (907-465-6741) or at Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, P.O. Box 110505, Juneau, AK 99811-0505.



ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution's public policy. Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code §6-61-301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution's grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201 (contact for information). The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution's appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other action may be taken by ADHE as needed.




For degree-granting institutions, students should contact the Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education at 860-947-1822 for specific instructions.


The Delaware Department of Education will investigate complaints. Such complaints must be in writing and verified by the signature of the person making the complaint. Oral, anonymous, or unsigned complaints will not be investigated. Until the website is functional, please write or call for more information. The Delaware Department of Education, Teacher and Administrator Quality, John W. Collette Resource Center, 35 Commerce Way, Dover, DE 19904. The Delaware Department of Education phone number is 302-857-3388.






No established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could be found.


Complaint process described in Admin Rule (July 1, 2011) §500. Forms and instructions available upon request from the State Coordinator for Private Colleges & Proprietary Schools. For more information, please contact the Office of the Idaho State Board of Education at 208-334-2270.


Institutional Complaint Hotline: 217-557-7359. The Board receives general information email at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules §1030.70 and 1030.80. 







For academic degree-granting institutions, Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General's Office at 225-326-6200. 


Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.


Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202. Please see PDF at



Complaints involving public university consumer protection violations may be directed to: Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan, Consumer Protection Division, P.O. Box 30213, Lansing, MI 48909-7713. Please see website at,1607,7-164-1773-42077--,00.html 






The policies regarding student complaints are listed on the Nebraska website with a notation that they are not final. The Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (CCPE) intends to have a section on the website that walks students through the process; in the meanwhile, please call 402-471-0030. Please note that institutions offering courses or programs that are exclusively online are not required to seek authorization from CCPE. If students have complaints about such institutions, we refer them to the home state of the institution or the Nebraska Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at




No established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could be found.





Complaints involving out-of-state institutions may be filed with the Office of Attorney General,Consumer Protection & Antitrust Division, Gateway Professional Center, 1050 East Interstate Ave. Ste. 200, Bismarck, ND 58503-5574, phone (701)328-5570, fax (701)328-5568.


No established consumer complaint process for students enrolled in public postsecondary institutions could be found.


Current and prospective student complaints are handled through the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believes the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on the student's behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if the issue has been resolved or adequately addressed. Please call OSRHE at 405-225-9100 for more information.


All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by the Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General's office. Please call ODA for more information at 541-687-7478.



Students in Pennsylvania with complaints should first follow the Grade Appeals policy. If the student feels the issue cannot be solved by the university, a complaint may be filed with California University’s state approval and licensing entities, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (email may be sent to Kathleen Howley, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic and Student Affairs, at; the Pennsylvania Department of Education; or its accreditor, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education







If the issue is not resolved through the University's complaint policy, students ma, send a written complaint to the Coordinating Board at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Academic Affairs and Research, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711, The rules governing student complaints can be found in Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.1100-1.120.




We encourage you to work directly with your institution to satisfy complaints. In most cases, that is the only appropriate avenue for you to pursue. If you believe you have exhausted avenues listed above and those listed in the attached PDF and have a valid complaint about a violation, you may send it to the Vermont Department of Education in writing at 120 State Street, Montpilier, VT 05620-2501. All complaints should be specific in describing the nature of the complaint and relevant information: the name of the parties involved, including witnesses, dates, the policy or procedure violated (if known), the course/program, the name of the institution, and complete contact information. In addition, please include any supporting material that substantiates your complaint, including correspondence with the school about the issue. For more information, please see



Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360-753-7800. 




If the complaint involves an issue relative to authorization, the Wyoming Department of Education contacts the institution to ensure that the institution is compliant with Wyoming State law. For complaints not related to authorization, the complainant is encouraged to try to resolve the issue through their institution's formal grievance procedures. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complainant may also be referred to the Consumer Protection Division of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office. Please contact the Wyoming Department of Education at 307-777-6210.