Learning and Language Center Preschool Program
- Parent - Teacher Conferences are scheduled for the week of April 11th. Please remember to sign up for a time to meet with your child's mentor and supervisor.
- The last Teaching and Practice Technology Lab Days are schedule for Monday, April 11th and Wednesday, April13th.
- Save the Date! The Learning and Language Center Preschool Graduation will be held on Tuesday, April 26th.
We are also now accepting applications for the Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 academic year.
The Creative Curriculum for Preschool
About the Program:
Portions of The Creative Curriculum for Preschool, a Developmental Curriculum for Ages 3-5(Dodge, Colker, and Heroman, 2001), is implemented in the Learning and Language Center Preschool Program. The curriculum addresses four areas of development including:
4 Areas of Focus:
Social/Emotional Development: Sense of Self, Responsibility for Self and Others, and Prosocial Behavior
Physical Development: Gross and Fine Motor Development
Cognitive Development: Learning and Problem Solving, Logical Thinking, and Representation and Symbolic Thinking
Language Development: Listening and Speaking and Reading and Writing
Shared Storybook Reading
About Our Pre-Literacy Program:
Shared Storybook Reading, Building Young Children's Language and Emergent Literacy Skills (Helen Ezell and Laura Justice) is implemented in the Learning and Language Center Preschool Program. Shared Storybook Reading is a guide and resource for effective storybook book reading that promotes the development of oral reading and emergent literacy skills that are necessary for success in school.
LIteracy Skills Addressed:
- Print Awareness
- Differentiating Print from Pictures
- Understands Print Directionality
- Knows that Print Tells a Story
- Identifies Top and Bottom of a Page
- Knows Some Letters of the Alphabet
- Understands that Words are Made Up of Letters
Phonological Awareness Addressed:
- Recognizes Word Boundaries
- Identifies Number of Syllables in Words
- Rhymes Words by Changing Initial Sound
- Identifies First Sounds of Words
The Learning and Language Center Preschool Program is open to children of students, staff, faculty and to families in the surrounding communities. The program is in session Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to noon. A child must attend all four days of the program.
The Learning and Language Center Preschool is a laboratory school that is under the direct supervision of faculty in the Communication Disorders Program. Both graduate and undergraduate students complete a clinical practicum in the preschool and work directly with the children.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for admission to the program both for fall (September-December) and spring (January-May) semesters. Fees are charged per term. A current fees schedule is available by contacting the department office at (724) 938-4175.
Children must have turned 3 and 1/2 by August and be no older than 5 years of age. Children also need to be potty trained.
We provide clinical services to clients in a nondiscriminatory manner; that is, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, participation restriction, sexual orientation or status as a parent.
Download the latest Snack Calendar.
Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.