TAA/WIOA Programs

Site Search

A professor helps a student at a computer.A professor helps a student at a computer.

TAA/WIOA Programs

Outside Faculty students at theSiemens Mechatronic Systems Instructor Certification Program june 2012.

What is the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)?

TAA is a federally-funded employment program that assists workers whose jobs have been impacted by foreign imports, while WIOA provides federal job training funds for adults and dislocated workers.  California offers several certificate programs as well as undergraduate and graduate degree programs that are approved for TAA and WIOA funding. 

Application Instructions

Steps for TAA/WIOA Applicants

TAA benefits begin with the employer applying for participation in the program. You should verify that your employer has been approved to participate in TAA and/or WIOA by contacting the CareerLink Office in your county.

  1. TAA benefits begin with the employer applying for participation in the program. You should verify that your employer has been approved to participate in TAA and/or WIOA by contacting the CareerLink Office in your county.

  2. If your employer has approved TAA and/or WIOA benefits, visit the PA CareerLink website at the Commonwealth Workforce Development System webpage to review area providers and programs approved for education and retraining. A list of approved California University degree and certificate programs for the current academic year can also be found at the following link: California University of PA Approved Programs of Study

  3. Contact Barb Crofcheck by email or phone at crofcheck@calu.edu or 724-938-4491 to discuss educational goals and program requirements. She will help to coordinate all of the paperwork and communication required by both the Careerlink Office and the University. The Office of Articulation and Transfer Evaluation reviews students' previous transcripts to determine the amount of credits that will be transferred into a particular area of study. The amount of transferrable credits plays a crucial role in determining if a student can complete their desired area of study within their allotted timeframe.

  4. Application Process:
    1. Undergraduate Programs : Submit online application and supporting documents to Office of Continuing Education for evaluation.
    2. Graduate Programs: Submit online application and supporting documents to the School of Graduate Studies and Research.
  5. TAA/WIOA recipients are required to apply for federal and state aid by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid online.  The amount of your TAA/WIOA award may be adjusted to reflect the amount of grants/scholarships received.

  6. Once accepted to California University, you will be assigned an academic advisor. You should meet with your advisor (or department chairperson) immediately to complete either a two year plan of study or a three year plan of study (depending on your approved training period). Individuals receiving unemployment benefits are required to be enrolled full time during the Fall and Spring semesters (at least 12 credits for undergraduate programs and at least 9 credits for graduate programs), as well as each Summer session if courses are available.

  7. Submit your plan of study to:

    Office of Continuing Education - Box 94
    250 University Ave
    California, PA 15419
    724-938-4564 (fax)
  8. Once all required documents are received, we will submit for approval on the PA CareerLink website. California University will invoice the commonwealth for the successful completion of an academic term. Billing, therefore, will not be done until the end of the term.  Students who withdraw from courses, receive incompletes, or fail, must contact the PA CareerLink counselor to determine the impact on their funding.

  9. All students who attend classes on campus must enroll in or waive out of the insurance coverage offered through the university. All students, providing verifiable proof of comparable coverage, may waive the purchase of the sponsored plan. TAA and WIOA funding may not be used to cover health insurance expenses. Details about the coverage offered through Cal U can be obtained at: http://www.calu.edu/current-students/health-services/health-insurance/index.htm

  10. All students who choose to park on-campus must purchase a parking pass. TAA does not cover parking costs. In some cases, WIOA funding may be used to cover parking expenses. More details about Cal U's parking system can be found here: http://www.calu.edu/parking/index.htm

  11. TAA and WIOA eligible students may charge their textbooks to their student account by their student ID card at the register and explaining that they are a TAA or WIOA student.

  12. Verification of attendance is required for TAA/WIOA students. Students need to complete and return bi-weekly timesheets. Once you become a TAA/WIOA student, you will receive a Cal U email account and the Office of Continuing Education will communicate with you on a regular basis through this email account. Please check it regularly.

Apply Now!

You will need:

  • Application for undergraduate or graduate admission (either hard copy or electronically)
  • A nonrefundable $25 application fee payable to California University of Pennsylvania
  • An official high school transcript and, if applicable, GED certificate and scores (this requirement is waived for students who hold associate or higher degrees)
  • Official copy of your SAT or ACT scores (this requirement may be waived for those two years out of high school)
  • Students must declare on the application and request that official transcripts be submitted to the Office of Admissions from all post-secondary institutions attended at the time of acceptance. Students will not be granted transfer credits from other institutions after acceptance.

Apply Now!

Financial Aid

Financial Aid information can be obtained through the Financial Aid Department or visit the FAFSA website (Free Financial Application to Federal Student Aid)

More Info

Apply NowRequest InformationTuition and Aid button

Connect with Cal U


Forms and Resources

PA CareerLink

Approved Programs of Study


Plan of Study (2 yr)

Plan of Study (3 yr)

More Information

For more information on TAA and WIA, visit the following sites:

Get Adobe Reader

Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.

Get Adobe Reader. Clicking on this image will take you to another web site where you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free. The site will open in a new window.