Master of Education in Elementary / Special Education: Admissions

Site Search

A lifelong learning student is next to a young child during the lifelong learning students graduation.A lifelong learning student is next to a young child during the lifelong learning students graduation.

Master of Education: Admissions

Admission Requirements (Regular) 

  • Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 2.80 or a 3.00 in last 48 credits earned (Students with a GPA below 2.80 may apply for conditional admission)
  • Official transcripts from an accredited undergraduate institution
  • Copy of teaching certificate (not required for Autism Spectrum Disorders Letter of Completion if ASD certification is not desired or M.Ed. Dual Special/Elementary)
  • International Graduate Applicants

   Conditional Admission Requirements

  • Conditional Admission may be granted with the following modifications of the Regular Admissions Requirements.  Those admitted conditionally based on missing document/s have up to a maximum of two semesters to satisfy these requirements:
    • Bachelor’s degree with a GPA under 2.80 will be reviewed for a decision
    • Unofficial transcripts 

Program Requirements

  • Current Act 24, 34, 151 and 114 clearances  
  • Passing Score on PAPA exam (prior to the end of your first term)
  • All courses, except ESP 800, must be completed before student teaching.   
  • The following Undergraduate/Graduate classes are needed for certification:
    • Mathematics (6 credits)
    • English Composition I (3 credits) or English/American literature (3 credits)
    • Instructional Technology
    • U.S. History
    • English Composition II
    • Physical Science
    • Biology
    • Environmental / Earth Science
    • Educational Psychology
    • Economics

How to Apply:

School of Graduate Studies and Research
California University of Pennsylvania
Box 91
250 University Ave.
California, PA 15419

  • Submit unofficial transcripts and other documents by mail (using the address above), email ( or fax (724-938-5712)

For additional information:


Phone: 724-938-4187

Out of State Students:

All students who will be seeking certification outside of Pennsylvania are responsible for securing and following the certification requirements in the state in which they intend to apply for certification.